#172276  by Nut17
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:41 pm
Hi Grant. In my case it is a case of "Once bitten, twice shy" In my opinion there are only two pluses - The ease of installation and light weight. I could find no warranty claims on their website ( most flexible / semi flexible panels have only half the warranty period of conventional glass topped panels.) They are up to four times the purchase price per watt compared to conventional panels and the excessive heat generated to the roof structure is very detrimental to composite foam sandwich type roof panels.
This https://www.nzmotorhome.co.nz/forum/vie ... re#p101750 thread follows my late 2015 journey with semi flexible panels.
Our new Winnebago ILUKA motorhome that we took delivery of in November 2020 was fitted with a 150 watt semi flexible panel in the factory. On hot days the heat generated dropped the charge rate by about 50% and the heat being transferred to the fibreglass / foam sandwich roof structure was alarming. I removed that panel and have since fitted six x 200 watt perc panels. Good quality Perc conventional panels can be purchased for less than $1.00 / watt.
 #172277  by Paul-Carter
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:47 pm
I have used these ones.
https://au.vicoffroad.com/products/120w ... olar-panel
I got a very good deal on them and they work well. One thing you need to understand with flexibles on a curved surface is that they will never achieve their max rating. But I am very happy with the low light/overcast performance.
Attachments
IMG_5137.JPG
 #172278  by independent
 Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:51 pm
I've done two installations of flexible solar panels on a vehicle and done tests of all the flexible solar panel types that I know of GaAs, Unisolar types, trad thin film, Mono or Poly under PET and ETFE. My takeaway is the fancy types, Unisolar, GaAs, ETFE , are really good but the ETFE Mono or Sunpower are easily twice as efficient as the others and probably half the price. GaAs also loses efficiency off axis more readily. PET is rubbish. I've always liked Unisolar panels even tho' they are so inefficient because of the inventor and the history https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Conversion_Devices

Had a great experience with ETFE Mono on a metal vehicle over a couple of years with no output loss on the roof directly mounted with Polyurethane glue with no obvious problem..

However, this slightly alarming below. We are looking at going with a 3M product dual lock for our smaller solar panels 50w on a fibreglass roof. Hopefully the distance between the smaller panels will offset the heat compared the 150w panels.
Our new Winnebago ILUKA motorhome that we took delivery of in November 2020 was fitted with a 150 watt semi flexible panel in the factory. On hot days the heat generated dropped the charge rate by about 50% and the heat being transferred to the fibreglass / foam sandwich roof structure was alarming.

By the way I'm getting my ETFE panels at a rate that's less expensive than those prices listed. Suggest looking around. :geek:
 #172286  by gmatt
 Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:12 am
Thanks for the feedback ....... I'll be going the tried and proven conventional way ..... does anyone know of installers on the North Shore, Auckland?
 #172287  by Nut17
 Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:19 am
Hi Grant. I would try Peter Webster at RV Repairs.

Address: 17d William Pickering Drive, Rosedale, Auckland 0632
Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 4PM
Phone: 09-442 1264
Appointments: rvrepairs.kiwi.nz
Pay with Paymate Express