#172528  by tedheath
 Sat May 01, 2021 5:46 pm
Put it in a few months ago along with a new 20 A solar panel. Couldn't get it to work after playing around with it for a few days. Then as I was about to remove it and take it back to AA Solar it made a spark sound and started working. Didn't touch anything as I needed it for the NZMCA nats at Rotorua. Worked perfectly since then usually 22V from the panel and charging up to 7 or so amps everything tickety boo.
COF has run out so I have started fixing things for next summer. I knew when I disconnected the batteries there would be problems with the controller and I wasn't disappointed.
Connected the batteries back up run a bit of a load for a while and now it shows about 14V on the PV and .4 of an amp . It was putting out 22v AT 0930 hrs cloudy before I disconnected it and 14v sunny at midday when I hooked it back up. With a meter on the pv terminals on the controller it confirms the controller voltage. However if I disconnect the wires and measure the pv voltage its 22v.
Did the disconnect in sequence and hook up in sequence battery load pv.
Why does hooking up the pv wires kill its voltage? With everything turned off the load is zero as you would expect.
 #172531  by David Wallace
 Sat May 01, 2021 7:24 pm
It sounds like the EPEVER controller has developed a internal short causing the solar panel voltage to be drawn down to its short circuit running voltage.
 #172532  by tedheath
 Sat May 01, 2021 8:48 pm
That sounds pretty right but what made it come right the first time? like I said it made a spark sort of noise and it was away
 #172535  by Derb
 Sun May 02, 2021 9:25 am
Sounds more like an open circuit “making” then with movement “breaking”.
 #172537  by Paul-Carter
 Sun May 02, 2021 9:30 am
nothing fixes its self, it will come back to bite you. You have just got to go after it and get it sorted. Otherwise you will feel it you know where. :-T
 #172539  by David Wallace
 Sun May 02, 2021 10:05 am
Electronics can be funny like that. Works fine until you have to repower them then nothing. I wouldn't trust the controller, send it back to AA solar for a warranty claim.
 #172543  by tedheath
 Sun May 02, 2021 1:17 pm
Yep thats I will do but I wondered if I had anything stupid on the installation.
 #172550  by David Wallace
 Sun May 02, 2021 7:30 pm
From your first post Ted I don't think you wired up any thing wrong to cause your controller to fail. I use a EPEver 3210AN 30 amp controller and I have played around with the wiring to my controller several times and mine is still going strong.:TU
Pay with Paymate Express