Cooking, baking, cleaning, loo pongs etc
 #172570  by sjb
 Mon May 03, 2021 8:17 pm
I was wondering what the consensus is when caravan-ing at DOC sites and water source. All DOC sites now seem to have the boil water for three minutes sign so do you fill the caddy with this water and rely on the filter, or treat the water in the caddy, or use it just for washing up etc. and take a separate water container from home for drinking etc.

Once/ if you've run this water through the system, are the internals contaminated for ever or until you sterilise it?
 #172571  by mattn
 Mon May 03, 2021 8:41 pm
I tend to be a bit casual with DOC water supplies - probably because the water supply at most of these doc sites went decades with a sign saying it was drinkable, then some academic in Wellington decided that if the water is not tested every other week it is unsafe to drink., so they pull down the potable signs and put up non-potable ones.

https://nzmotorhome.co.nz/forum/viewtop ... on#p128987 is worth a read
 #172572  by Mark
 Mon May 03, 2021 9:04 pm
My view is that the signs just reflect an increasing need for organisations to cover their backsides - in case someone does get sick and tries to take them to court.
Similar to various DOC signs on bridges warning of a limit of 2, or 5 or whatever: all suddenly appearing after Cave Creek.
I ignore them and do nothing special.
 #172593  by Derb
 Wed May 05, 2021 8:49 am
With regard to the cave creek reference. Since that event I pay particular care with their elevated structures 😁.
 #172631  by Grant4747
 Fri May 07, 2021 8:10 pm
I was an employee of DOC and often had to educate school groups not to exceed the limit on suspension bridges.
Why?.....because I was involved in how they were made and tested and often they had disregard for the signs.
They thought twice once I told them the anchors were just glued with two pot into holes in rock that weren’t particularly deep (500-600mm)

Please take these signs seriously or take full responsibility for your own actions which most people are c..p at doing.

I recall there was a bridge failure at lake Waikaremoana a few years back for reasons I can’t remember now.
In Re to water quality I would not drink any hut water especially off the roof, experienced too many dead animals including rats drowned in tanks or died in gutters.
Doc can’t possibly test all their water supplies all of the time at all their facilities, there are over one thousand huts alone so of course they are going to be cautious.
Pay with Paymate Express