Cooking, baking, cleaning, loo pongs etc
 #164706  by linrae
 Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:56 am
WE were staying Chateau 28/29 July On the Monday night they have a quiz at bar opposite so off we went.

Up to bar for 2nd round drinks chap walks in Lo and Behold he was the Chocolate Eclair man with a box full of that days left over .
All 8 of us got to try Buckshee most enjoyable and we then won the quiz great night was had
Damm cold walking the 200 metres back to Chateau that late at night .
 #164713  by Mark
 Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:13 pm
Derb wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:12 am
as usual with pretty much every NZ bakery now run by immigrants - “no love” in the preparation of the food. “Cardboard Food” at best.
Every summer I run an informal Hot Cross Bun competition. Have done for the last 10 years or so.
The very best hot cross buns that I have come across ever were from a bakery at the top end of town in Warkworth.
Run by Koreans :)
The best pies to be had in Rotorua are from Gold Star Bakery, opposite the Library. Has won the national pie competition several times.
Run by Asians. :)
Plenty of love showing - to my taste.
 #164720  by Derb
 Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:44 pm
The two local bakeries here in Kawerau are fine for pastries. It is the cakes etc which are duff 🙄.
 #164736  by RaymonD
 Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:31 pm
"The two local bakeries here in Kawerau are fine for pastries. It is the cakes etc which are duff"

H'mmm, as I'm on a fussy sort of food eating regiem, I have to disagree, not that I eat a lot of these cakes etc., the ones that I have had have been very sumptuous, perhaps it depends on the time of day when you purchase :Y
 #164783  by Justintime
 Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:31 pm
To be brutally honest Derb, I reckon milkshakes have gone the same way. The world has become a tough place these days.
 #164791  by NZRalphy
 Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:13 pm
It entirely depend on the skills of the baker.
We lived in Pirongia. Fantastic bakery run by a Dutch baker. Every thing was super!!!
He sold it to a really nice Asian family and it turned horrible over night. No skills at all. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #164795  by Derb
 Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:32 am
I can vouch for Ralphy. We are in process of moving to Pirongia and have visited the bakery on occasion over the years (also have other family in the area). Usual cardboard food for the masses from there now🙄.
 #164807  by david 60
 Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:31 pm
pirongia, great place you couldn't have chosen better to retire to and put your feet up
good luck
we chose a few km's up the road
great area enjoy your new move
David
Pay with Paymate Express