Anything related to motorhoming not covered in any other forums.
 #156832  by scubadoo
 Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:33 am
Just an observation, not a complaint.
We have now been travelling this great country fulltime for the last 5 years.
99% of our camping spots are DOC camps, freedom camping, NZMCA parks etc.
I have lost count of the number of occasions where our usually peaceful hideaway is stattered by the arrival of those beast machines us cringing with the often expected flying debris although to be fair modern machinery is usually better with retention.
One would expect that if public(ish) grass areas were mown say every 14 days on average we would encounter them at a similar rate. I am sure that number is closer to 5. Are we a magnet?

What prompted this post? Here we are entirely on our own at the Te Araroa Club park and you will never guess what just arrived. :cry:
 #156833  by Nut17
 Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:50 am
We were parked at 5 Mile Bay, Taupo a couple of years ago and our friends brand new Ford Ranger Ute suffered a nasty stone dent in one of the doors. The mower operator was taken to task and the mowing firm accepted responsibility - After a bit of heated discussion :-T :)
 #156834  by scubadoo
 Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:00 am
During our 3 year jaunt of Australia we noticed an entirely different approach with commercial lawnmowing.
Grass cutting would stop within perhaps 20 or 30m of our motorhome and if walking all operators would kill their machines as you approached and would not restart until you were a safe distance away.
No ACC, insurance and liability laws over there no doubt played a big part.
 #156895  by Shilo
 Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:05 am
scubadoo wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:33 am
One would expect that if public(ish) grass areas were mown say every 14 days on average we would encounter them at a similar rate. I am sure that number is closer to 5. Are we a magnet?
I wish! Spring and Autumn means twice weekly mowings in my camp (every 3-4 days). If left a week people start tripping over the long grass... A DOC or reserve area could get away with it once a week, but if it is a busy place then there are large patches of long grass where people were camped during the previous mow, so the contractor would have to either return or do the mowing more often. For some reason when doing the lawns here new arrivals always choose the sites I have yet to get to with the mower :roll:

Catchers and side shoots are slowly being phased out with commercial mowers and mulching being used more often. A mulch mower doesn't spit out stones etc anywhere near as much.
 #156896  by NeilV
 Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:23 am
Well that makes sense Shilo, we seem to get mowers 1 in 3 or 4 if at grassed spots, though I have been a record 27 days without having a mower nearby (when ‘camped’ at home :lol: :lol: :lol: (while building our house)
 #156954  by Waymad
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:32 pm
It's the difference between a conventional rotary mower (blades rotate on a plane perpendicular to a vertical shaft) and a flail (blades rotate on a horizontal shaft). The former can fling debris for a chain or so, the latter if well baffled, never throws outside the cage. Flails are more expensive but much more versatile.
 #156955  by Nut17
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:04 pm
However, the flail type are more expensive, have higher operating costs and require more horsepower and consequently more fuel to achieve the same result. The only cost saving is the much reduced cost of claims for damaged vehicles. ;) :) I have operated both types of mowers both on roadside mowing and orchard and vineyard mowing.
 #156965  by scubadoo
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:30 pm
I rest my case. Here we are quietly parked in the Council allocated camp on our own at Tokomaru Bay this afternoon.
To our immediate left and to our immediate right the invasion begins.
Attachments
IMG_20191203_2.jpg
IMG_20191203_1.jpg
Pay with Paymate Express