Anything related to motorhoming not covered in any other forums.
 #158051  by bunny
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:53 am
Hi colomannz

Are they better than the motor movers? Can they work in soft ground etc?

Thanks

Bronie
colormannz wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:49 pm
Take a look at Camper Trolley on youtube. They are dearer then single but cheaper the double motor movers. Can turn a tandum 90 deg. Minimal install. Rechargeable batteries and you can leave them at home and out of the weather. Work on grass gravel. Had motor movers on tandem, hard work. Moves our 720 SouthernStar caravan with ease.
 #158071  by donu
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:35 pm
I don't know what your tow vehicle is - but both my father [with a variety of cars from Falcons to Vauxhall Crestas, even had one fitted on our Morris Oxford]
and myself with a 4wd [Nissan safari] have fitted a front mounted draw bar, dead easy to maneuver in restricted areas as you are facing toward the caravan/boat/trailer.
It may just be an option worth exploring - I find it brilliant for maneuvering a 30 plus foot, 5 ton boat
My drawbar is fixed, but you could probably get a removable ball one fitted.

cheers
 #158086  by bunny
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:54 pm
colormannz I also have electric brakes, does that make any difference? I'm really at a point where I don't know which would be better. I know one thing, I can not back anything besides a car!! :P Which is best for wet ground?? as the price is about the same!

Thanks

Bronie
 #158150  by bunny
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:35 pm
Hi Donu

Are you talking about adding a towball to the front of the tow ute? As I'm looking at buying a ute now. Would this solve the problem of backing the caravan?

Thanks

bronie

by donu » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:35 pm
I don't know what your tow vehicle is - but both my father [with a variety of cars from Falcons to Vauxhall Crestas, even had one fitted on our Morris Oxford]
and myself with a 4wd [Nissan safari] have fitted a front mounted draw bar, dead easy to maneuver in restricted areas as you are facing toward the caravan/boat/trailer.
It may just be an option worth exploring - I find it brilliant for maneuvering a 30 plus foot, 5 ton boat
My drawbar is fixed, but you could probably get a removable ball one fitted.

cheers
 #158151  by donu
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:27 pm
Hi Bronie
yes that is what I am talking about
you can get it done like the normal rear one [most of which now seem to be removable tongue] except that it can be of lighter construction as you are not doing a lot of work with it
I think I have manged to upload a photo of my wagon

cheers
DonU
Attachments
toebar.jpg
photo of front of my wagon
 #158152  by donu
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:31 pm
all as I do is pull up and disconnect the trailer etc then turn the truck around and hook up again, then I can drive it to wherever I want without hassle.
I don't know where you are but I am in Hastings if you wanted to see it or try it, I have trailers etc here.
cheers
 #158153  by Rovers
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:58 pm
Bron, a front mounted removable coupling is well worth investigating, with a little practice you can maneuver with only inches to spare, you're facing the right way and if you start to get cockeyed you seem to be able to correct which way you should be going intuitively. It probably/may need to be removable as I have an idea now that forward protrusions won't get a warrant, but thats easy sorted.

Cheers
Lindsay
 #158155  by donu
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:10 pm
I suppose that nowadays inspectors are always having to cover their butt, but my Safari with the drawbar as you see has just passed a wof and has for the last probably 10 years without a mention [including a couple at VTNZ.

But if it made with a removable tongue then there would be no protrusion, just get it done by a reputable engineering firm
Pay with Paymate Express