Anything related to motorhoming not covered in any other forums.
 #170692  by Rosina
 Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:17 pm
Hi everyone

Just wondering if my idea is ridiculous. We are a small family hoping to save for land or a house someday. It is going to take a very long time with paying over $650 rent each week etc.

My husband has a well paying job in Wellington while my daughter goes to school a and I look after our toddler.

We were wondering if it would be at all plausible to buy a well set up house bus and lurk around the regions campsites for a few years.

What are my options for doing something like this? Am I just dreaming?

Thoughts appreciated😊
 #170717  by Derb
 Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:08 pm
From my perspective, you will be dreaming. There are already enough vanners “lurking” around NZ filling up all the freedom camping areas. It used to be bad enough pre-covid with the foreign tourists but now most of the spots are filled with NZ citizens living on the cheap. That strategy of moving around from spot to spot keeping just in front of the council Rottweilers is not what those spots are for. The local ratepayers are by default covering your rates. We genuine NZ occasional tourists are effectively robbed of the opportunity to free-camp for a night whilst passing through. Spending a few bob before leaving. Personally I have a real hate on with this behaviour as it justifies the council’s removing those spots altogether and I don’t blame them one bit. Just my take on this subject. Cheers.
 #170720  by tedheath
 Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:31 pm
Do you know anyone who would let you park up around Wellington? some people would like a house bus there as its good night time security for them. The bus would need to be near power water and sewerage disposal.
Bus is going to cost you 20k minimum probaly need a long one 10m at least for the four of you, something like a VAL would ok.
Dont be put off by sad sacks
 #170721  by Andycap
 Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:44 pm
Hi Rosina ,if thats what you wish to do ,go for it . I totally disagree with what Derb says . What are we all supposed to do ,stay at home just in case ``he`decides to go away for `the occasional ` weekend . How about those that go away for at least a few months at a time too ,are they also branded with your brush too Derb? Freedom camping is for ALL those that wish to do it ,whatever the circumstances . its in the word `freedom` .
My 2 penneth too .
 #170725  by Derb
 Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:18 am
I have no issues whatsoever for those touring around making good use of those very few freedom camping spaces provided by various councils around NZ. It is blatantly mischievous of those who choose to believe otherwise. If you chose to live in an area of NZ, and can do it in a bus/van/car or any other form of habitation to save money - good on you! But do not do it in a manner which is at the expense of others - that would be any other Kiwi campers looking around NZ making occasional use of these “very few” remaining freedom-camping spots. If you choose to live full time in an area, make your own arrangements for private parking! Private treaty with a landowner or Caravan Park manager or Golf Club or whoever. Use your initiative. Those people going around in circles in an area living in freedom camping spots are simply “Blockers”. Us other “NZ citizens” trying to have a holiday whilst occasionally making use of these freedom-camping spots have equal rights to them. We also contribute to the local shops, cafes, gas stations, supermarkets etc. all this whilst paying rates etc at home. I repeat - I have no issue with genuine tourists using these spots - that is what they are provided for, not long-term “free camping”. I make no apologies for my point of view.
 #170730  by idex
 Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:46 am
Good sensible comments Derb. I agree with you. :TU :TU :TU
 #170731  by vansvilla
 Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:14 am
Good idea. One Avenue we have used is to work through local Real Estate agents, house sitting but I dont think that would be feasible any more with the speed houses are sold. However commercial properties in this age may sit vacant longer and be an option.
As a minimum you will need access to running water and a gully trap for your grey water. Supposing of course that you have either adequate solar or a generator if not.
Good luck.
 #170797  by avkonst
 Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:41 am
Hi, I know one family (2 adults, 2 kids) in South Island who lived in 16 ton well setup campervan bus for 8 years, while saving for house. They said it was the greatest time in their life. Their home bus, when automatically unfolded was like 40 square meters, included kitchen, washing machine, etc.. We lived in 30 square meters flat with 1 kid, before moving to NZ, and it was manageable. I would probably enjoyed more 40 square meter bus instead, if I had one at that time. It is certainly possible and not that inconvenient as many think. If you can get used to the regular cycle to go to the dump station and home school your kids with the help correspondence school (which is in Wellington, BTW) and live in a bit smaller space, it should be fine. Home schooling kids is actually a good idea, as you can teach them a lot more than schools teach nowadays (at least until High School time).

Regarding rate payers paying for you. Ignore these comments. There are so many people in our society who live in social flats / houses, paid benefits and live on this without thinking to do something about. Your intents are to get off the ground and good on you. I support this idea.

Regarding space available for camping grounds. You need to make sure you reserve the space. And if you are late and it is all occupied, in Wellington, you can park on a side road with free overnight parking (that is what Park Ranger told me). There is no difference if a vehicle is parked free or if there are people inside of it and what they do just reading or sleeping. To make it easy and convenient for you, make sure your van can do complete black out hiding, so people around have no clue if you are in the van (watch youtube about this, it is very much possible). Also install a security alarm, so you wake up when somebody attempts to break into your van. And I would ignore people who complain there is no enough space to go to holidays. Well as you can see there is no enough remaining land to just live, all land is sold and requires a lot of money to get your spot on the Earth. So, you take what is available to live, which is far great intent than to keep the free land for somebody wanting to go on holidays occasionally.
Pay with Paymate Express