#8492  by Roamnz
 Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:12 pm
Message for Mark, when we were discussing 12 volt chargers for computers you mentioned that your bus is 24 volt. I've been thinking about that, and I think you will find that the actual cigarette lighter is 12volt the same as in our Isuzu truck. It would be worth checking this out, because if it is you could easily charge your laptop while you are driving using a 12volt lead similar to the one we have. All the Japanese trucks I have owned in the past 20 years have all been 24 volts with 12 volt cigarette lighters, possibly another Coaster bus owner can clarify this for you. Grant
 #8493  by Mark
 Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:23 pm
Thanks for that, Grant. You are very likely correct, when you think about it. I had merely assumed (without thinking about it) that "that end" of the bus was 24V and "this end" is 12 V. The laptop charging is not the issue, as we have a 12V cigarette lighter-type outlet in the house part: I was mainly concerned with getting a 12V supply for a GPS - since they seem to last only around 3 hours on battery.

I'll have a check tomorrow and let you know. Hope your evening's excitement wasn't too much for you :)

(Come to think of it - I don't even recall seeing a cigarette lighter outlet on the dash. Be interesting to see what is there, in the morning :oops: )
 #8494  by WoodyZ
 Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:24 pm
I have a small collection of Japanese trucks, all 24 volt. The only one with a 12 volt cigarette lighter plugs is my 5th wheel tug and that is only because I have changed the wiring to it to feed from the separate 12 volt system I installed.
 #8506  by Mark
 Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:55 am
Yep, checked this morning and there is NO cigarette lighter outlet in the front. There IS a radio/cassette: but I guess that is likely to be 24V? I guess it shouldn't be too difficult to tap into a 24V wire and connect in a 24-12V converter?
Any ideas welcomed.
 #8509  by WoodyZ
 Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:13 pm
I have done that in the past Mark for driving 12 volt things, quite a simple job really, just a matter of identifying a suitable supply cable (switched or otherwise) and tapping into it. So long as you haven't tapped into a cable with insufficient capacity all will work well.
 #8510  by Mark
 Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:05 pm
Thanks, Neil. Capacity shouldn't be a problem: it would just be for powering a GPS. Good source for a converter - Jaycar? Dick Smith? I guess.
 #8511  by WoodyZ
 Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:11 pm
Either of those probably, I think I bought the ones I have installed at Repco.
 #8513  by Mark & Barb
 Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:37 pm
Hi Mark
We bought a 24v to 12v converter for our coaster bus from Dick smiths.
They have 2 sizes the small one is enough for the sterio and gps.About $40 i think
Our cigertte lighter in the bus is 24v so we bought a Navman GPS as this is the only one i could find that used either voltage.

Mark
Pay with Paymate Express