#8519  by Mark
 Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:31 pm
Mark & Barb wrote: Our cigertte lighter in the bus is 24v so we bought a Navman GPS as this is the only one i could find that used either voltage.
That's interesting - hadn't thought that some might have dual voltage chargers or that you might be able to buy a third-party dual voltage charger.
Thanks, Mark.
 #8535  by Zukiwi
 Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:21 pm
I've been going through the same scenarios for phone charging and Navman power in the front of our 24V bus with no cigarette lighter outlet. Ended up buying a 24V-12V 15A convertor from TradeMe. Haven't installed it yet but it should be simple. Then just need to get a multiple 12v socket outlet.

Cheers
John
 #8593  by Nut17
 Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:18 pm
Hi,

Our Mazda Parkway was all 24volt so I ran a 12 volt supply from the house batteries to the dash for any appliances.

Cheers Chris
 #8603  by Brrrrm
 Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:38 am
Hi. Our 97 civilian has a dash mounted plug but its actually 24V. Not labelled in any way but relieved to find its about 1.5mm smaller in dia. I've also fitted a couple of 12V outlets from house battery. cheers neil
 #8626  by releivingbob
 Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:38 pm
Zukiwi wrote:I've been going through the same scenarios for phone charging and Navman power in the front of our 24V bus with no cigarette lighter outlet. Ended up buying a 24V-12V 15A convertor from TradeMe. Haven't installed it yet but it should be simple. Then just need to get a multiple 12v socket outlet.

Cheers
John
Yep, i'm fitting a 20 amp unit to our new tractor unit, i need 12 amps @12v for the trailer brakes alone but will also do cig lighter as 12v and also for the power on side of the new CD player. I have an orginal 24 -12v converter which i shall use for the "always on" CD player power. I think ... and i may be corrected on this, but the larger converter will drain your batteries if on all the time, which is why i am wiring the 20 amp one thru the ign.
 #8630  by WoodyZ
 Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:32 pm
My Navman is also 24/12 volt capable but I took the option to change the lighter plug to 12 volt when installing the separate 12 volt system. There are a number of items I have in the cab which require 12 volts, some of these require a permanent 12 v supply (radio to name one) All the switching for this is done from the ignition switch just the same as the 24 volt side. Most things are hard wired in rather than plug in.

Brakes are also 12 volt back to the 5th wheeler. The separate 12 volt system also charges the house batteries while on the move and if something 12 volt is inadvertently left on and flattens the 12 volt truck battery, the truck 24 volt system is still operational as it is completely isolated.
 #10009  by Zukiwi
 Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:05 pm
I got a triple cig socket 12V unit with a USB port as well off good ol' Trademe. Just finished fitting it today including an inline fuse (after I cooked the first one, but that's another story), and now have 12v up front for Navman, phones and my Palm. Rapt.

Cheers
John
Pay with Paymate Express