#9039  by Freda
 Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:03 am
Hi . Has anyone had anythink to do with " STECA " controllers. I'm looking at a 20 watt.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Tony.
 #9063  by Freda
 Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:39 pm
Hmmm. Obviously not.
Oh well, bought one anyway :)
 #9069  by Gerry
 Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:07 am
Not sure but I think the Steka is very similar to my much loved Uhlmann controller.
It has a digital readout attached and a option to isolate the load and can be programmed to work on gell or flooded batteries. Can be programmed to charge on SOC or voltage control. Unless all input and output is through the controller pick Voltage control, (sometimes we forget the charger and inverter connected directly to the battery).

Gerry
 #9074  by Nut17
 Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:17 pm
Freda wrote:Hi . Has anyone had anythink to do with " STECA " controllers. I'm looking at a 20 watt.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Tony.
Hi Tony,

I installed an 85W panel and a 20AMP Steca controller in our last caravan and found it very good. I went for the 20 amp model as I intended adding to my solar up to two more panels. This never eventuated and we eventually sold the van and upgraded to a bigger one. However we were very happy with our controller.

I really miss all the info you van scroll through and the constant monitoring available.

Our new van came with a 95W panel and a morning star controller which is mounted under the seat and is hopefully doing its job. There is also an analogue amp meter wired in which seems to be very conservative.

I do not know how efficient the STECA units are but Cellpower in Hastings www.cellpower.co.nz sells them and reckons they are the bees knees

Cheers

Chris
 #9089  by Zukiwi
 Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:11 pm
Hi Tony

I had a 10W Steca (BP Solar branded) in my last motorhome feeding a single 115A/h wet cell battery and found it very good. Intuitive display and as far as I could tell very accurate. Gerry and Chris have pretty much expressed my opinions. Would certainly go for one again if the need arose (and it likely will as i'm thinking about doubling my present solar capacity).

Cheers
John
 #9096  by Freda
 Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:32 am
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was a bit unsure and was hopeing that I hadn't spent money on junk. Your comments have put my mind at ease. Part or the reason I bought the Steca was the inbuilt display. No need to go and buy a seperate monitor.
Thanks for the input
Tony :D
 #9825  by Nut17
 Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:36 am
SteveC wrote:Hi Chris, have you a lap top to look at your morning star controler with?

Steve
Hi Steve,

I was just trolling through some older threads (can't sleep!) and noticed that I had missed this comment. I would be interested how I can look at my morning star with my laptop? - please enlighten me. :) :)

Cheers Chris
Pay with Paymate Express