#140326  by MiriamNZ
 Thu May 10, 2018 12:05 pm
Have you installed and used this?
Cheers
Miriam
 #140357  by rawill
 Fri May 11, 2018 1:02 pm
I have not found the above units to be as robust as I need. So I have gone for another unit.
Just look out for the max input voltage on any unit you purchase.

In the end I went for a unit that could take 60 volts input.
It is hooked directly to my 24v panels, and goes to my 24 starter system.
I have set it to a 27.6 cut in voltage, and 27.8 cut out, it pulses in and out, but holds the battery over 27 volts even on an overcast day.
 #140365  by myles
 Fri May 11, 2018 3:52 pm
MiriamNZ wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:05 pm
Have you installed and used this?
Not on the bus yet, still on the bench - but appears to work well for what I want. My preference is to trickle charge from the house battery, not the panels. This allows the house batteries to get priority rather than a share of the input. (having an input cut off voltage allows for this)
 #140369  by Doit
 Fri May 11, 2018 6:21 pm
I have just ordered the one myles mentioned above. I had installed the original 'Neddy' one, but one of the electrolytic caps blew up when I left the output open circuit. The input voltage was only about 20v, but the output went up to above 40v. The capacitors are only rated at 35v. I will test the new one and might have to put a high value resistor across the output to stop it happening again if the 24v are disconnected.
 #140478  by rawill
 Mon May 14, 2018 7:08 am
Neddy wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 1:18 pm
It would be good if you could post a link to the device you bought, Robin.
Info like that is very useful.

Neville.
Hope this link works. I went back to my purchase list to find it.
I will check it and repost if it doesn't.
I wanted one that hooked straight to my 24v panels.
Downside to this one is that it has a relay that you can hear clicking in and out.
Not loud, but possible annoying or some. If it was you could put it in a place where you could not hear it, it would be fine.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6-60v-l ... 88263.html

I have had it on for a couple of weeks now, seems to be working fine.
 #140486  by Neddy
 Mon May 14, 2018 10:53 am
Robin, that device is a really just a voltage controlled switch, a VSR. It is either "On" and connecting uncontrolled solar panel output directly to the Starter battery, or it is "Off" and the battery isn't being held at Float voltage. The device is continually flicking back and forth from "Charging" to "Off", rather than steadily holding the Starter battery at its Float voltage, as desired.

From page 1 of this thread "A far better system is to use a Float charger. These maintain batteries at their recommended Float voltage, varying the current as necessary."

Neville.
Pay with Paymate Express