#141270  by JonH
 Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:24 am
Reuben
Did you resolve the problem you had with the Votronic switch randomly turning off then on again?
I have the same problem with mine.
Hopefully :|
Jon
 #141305  by hughstott
 Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:39 am
I've had similar problems with mine and it was the connector on one end of the communication cable that goes up to the remote display all I did is replace the connector which I bought from Jaycar.
Hugh
 #141307  by rawill
 Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:29 am
Chris, Nut 17.
Have you considered, do you have the facility to make some threads on here "stickys" as other forums do.
There is such good info here on this thread as there is on some others.

In my view it would be good if there were stickys.
I also learnt a lot from TerryTI and Collyn Rivers from I think the CMCA forum before the fiasco over there that ended up ins such a great source of info being closed down.

Robin
 #141312  by myles
 Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:38 am
Much confusion results from the fact that with LiFePO4's you are not charging the batteries directly but supplying a Battery Management System (BMS) and many use Lead Acid Battery chargers to supply the BMS.

A little dated but good overview can be found at the following link (written by authors previously mentioned):
http://autotrailusers.nz/ForumFiles/101 ... %20RVs.pdf

Some care would need to be taken in putting together a sticky as not all battery pack/BMS requirements are the same.
 #141321  by Nut17
 Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:24 pm
rawill wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:29 am
Chris, Nut 17.
Have you considered, do you have the facility to make some threads on here "stickys" as other forums do.
There is such good info here on this thread as there is on some others.

In my view it would be good if there were stickys.
I also learnt a lot from TerryTI and Collyn Rivers from I think the CMCA forum before the fiasco over there that ended up ins such a great source of info being closed down.

Robin
Hi Robin

I will do some research on providing "Stickys" but the search function very efficiently will locate any subject that has been discussed on here. I typed in LiFePO4 and found the first thread back in June 2009. It was almost 3 years later that I jumped in after doing as much research as possible and made my initial LiFEPO4 purchase.

The post copied from March 2012 below shows that my crystal ball gazing was a bit off the mark. LiFePO4 batteries have not dropped in price over the last six years, and in fact the Sinopoly cells sold by AA Solar are currently about 10% dearer. :?
Re: Lithium Batteries
#34885 by Nut17
Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:53 am
Interesting reading back through this thread on Lithium batteries. I had a good chat to a bloke on a battery/solar/LED stand at the Caravan & Motorhome Show at Hamilton, and the battery that Neddy quoted at $2600 (120 amp) is now $1000, less than a year later. When you consider that the lithium technology allows the full capacity of the battery to be discharged each cycle, only half the capacity is needed when compared to AGMs or wet cell batteries. This effectively now has the price of lithium around double AGM when comparing available AMPS per $. The 120 amp lithium was about the size of an NS70 and about half the weight.

Another twelve months and there could well be cost effective benefits with this technology :)

Cheers Chris
 #141324  by scubadoo
 Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:01 pm
Agreed. A sticky could never cover all variables for even the products available today.

There will soon be a multitude of branded and rebranded LiFePO4 battery packs with integrated "we know best" BMS circuitry, fuses and who knows what hidden away in the boxes. There will be a sizeable market for these "drop in replacement" battery packs where very little electrical knowledge is required for installlation but you will pay a premium for it. Purchase a recommended battery charger and away you go. Easy.
Consumers will have to rely entirely on the suppliers for charging parameters and deviate from those values at their peril.

I will never have any interest in such products and stay with individual prismatic cells until battery chemistry evolves just a little.
Most if not all of these boxes are not capable of delivering anywhere near the 500 amps plus necessary to start our truck engine several times a day. The integrated circuitry and wiring would be likely to self destruct.
My seperate prismatic cells handle the current with ease. No hidden in a box BMS, charging, wiring, fuses etc. current limiting involved. ;)
 #141460  by JonH
 Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:42 am
hughstott wrote:
I've had similar problems with mine and it was the connector on one end of the communication cable that goes up to the remote display all I did is replace the connector which I bought from Jaycar.
Hugh
Thanks Hugh. I would not have thought to look there! Crimped on a new plug and has been fine for 3 days so I think it is fixed.
:TU
 #141699  by JonH
 Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:01 pm
JonH wrote:
hughstott wrote:
Hugh
Thanks Hugh. I would not have thought to look there! Crimped on a new plug and has been fine for 3 days so I think it is fixed.
:TU
I spoke too soon, problem has reappeared. Spoke to AA Solar today who said they are looking into it as a number of people have the same problem. Waiting for them to get back to me with a fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pay with Paymate Express