#154869  by NeilV
 Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:41 am
Neddy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:58 am
The thin (blue) wires are the shunt "Sense" leads. You are measuring minute voltages across the shunt and the wires carrying this cannot be shared with anything else at all - not even the meter's own power supply.

Neville.
Bugger ! That must be why my one is still so inaccurate 🤦🏼‍♂️
I have a Juntek (#6) on the way as I thought it must be my monitor at fault :oops:

Will try wire it a different earth and see if that improves it :lol: :lol: :lol:
 #154873  by Karmann57
 Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:37 pm
Neilv, wire exactly as per your diagram and the monitor works fine. The Black GRND wire is the main ground for the looped red +ve leads. As Neddy says the Green and Blue wires are the critical measurement sensors so must be wired as shown. I used very fine audio leads for all my connections because the monitor is drawing very little current, but the sensors must be wired accurately.
 #154874  by NeilV
 Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:50 pm
Karmann57 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:37 pm
Neilv, wire exactly as per your diagram and the monitor works fine. The Black GRND wire is the main ground for the looped red +ve leads. As Neddy says the Green and Blue wires are the critical measurement sensors so must be wired as shown. I used very fine audio leads for all my connections because the monitor is drawing very little current, but the sensors must be wired accurately.
Yeah I used 8 strand cat6 and thought I could just use both for the ground as they seemed to go the same way (and I had two, as I have AGM starters and wanted to monitor them both/all)
Now I’m switching one to the #6 Juntek, (want the wireless so I can mount the main monitor in a more convenient place anyway) I can use the other four freed up wires and have the negatives separated :-T
 #154890  by RaymonD
 Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:28 pm
I recall reading that if the sensor wires are long, it was recommended that the pair be twisted..
 #154893  by NeilV
 Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:30 pm
RaymonD wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:28 pm
I recall reading that if the sensor wires are long, it was recommended that the pair be twisted..
Which is why I went with Cat6 (twisted pair) cables initially... here’s hoping the Juntek wireless works even better :D
 #161813  by Nut17
 Fri May 08, 2020 5:30 pm
So there has been a lot of water under the bridge since this thread was last added to. I have someone who really needs a shunt based monitor and has asked me for advice. A wireless remote display would make his installation considerably easier. Are there any new models I should look at out there ? He has very modest DC current requirements and has recently purchased a 100 Amp Hour LiFePO4 battery with full built in BMS. His main requirement is battery state of charge and Amps in and, or out.
Have you found any newer options Neddy? As I know this is one of your specialties.
 #161817  by scubadoo
 Fri May 08, 2020 6:34 pm
Edit. That is the one I use.

Chris
My number 6 on Neddys list still works perfectly and it is our goto display in preference to the Votronic. I have 2 displays wirelessly connected. One up front for use while driving and the other in the back. The 500A rated shunt model suits our setup.

https://nzmotorhome.co.nz/forum/viewtop ... 55&t=19169
Pay with Paymate Express