#158701  by scubadoo
 Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:26 am
John
I added a 2A inline fuse between the battery and "VIN".
As another forum discovered that "VIN" lead should be the final connection. :?

I had no issues hand tightening the free floating terminal studs prior to final nut torquing. I doubt the shunt device will ever be removed unless it fails. My 500A (rated) shunt carries all truck current including the starter motor.
 #158715  by LORNOZ
 Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:41 pm
Neville, I presume you mean the Earth near the Fridge? If so, how is the circuit completed, there is no Earth, other than the one from the terminal strip, or do you presume that the battery is earthed also, but not shown on diagram? Has me confused. Is this diagram correct?
Attachments
4300 wiring - Copy.png
 #158716  by LORNOZ
 Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:43 pm
scubadoo wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:26 am
John
I added a 2A inline fuse between the battery and "VIN".

I had no issues hand tightening the free floating terminal studs prior to final nut torquing. I doubt the shunt device will ever be removed unless it fails. My 500A (rated) shunt carries all truck current including the starter motor.
Subadoo, thanks, have read about fusing the "VIN" lead and plan to do so. John
 #158717  by Gadget
 Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:52 pm
scubadoo wrote:I added a 2A inline fuse between the battery and "VIN".
Guilty as charged - the bolts on the main connections can short onto the PCB if you connect the VIN first. Had to do some PCB repairs to get mine working again!

I think Neville meant the other earth - the one to the terminal block on the shunt. The shunt box only needs VIN. It gets the return path from the shunt itself.

Run your earth off the van-side connection on the shunt (ie, not the terminal that connects to the battery). As previously mentioned this means all gear that doesn’t have a direct negative connection to the shunt will still get counted.
 #158724  by LORNOZ
 Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:43 pm
Gadget wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:52 pm
scubadoo wrote:I added a 2A inline fuse between the battery and "VIN".
Guilty as charged - the bolts on the main connections can short onto the PCB if you connect the VIN first. Had to do some PCB repairs to get mine working again!

I think Neville meant the other earth - the one to the terminal block on the shunt. The shunt box only needs VIN. It gets the return path from the shunt itself.

Run your earth off the van-side connection on the shunt (ie, not the terminal that connects to the battery). As previously mentioned this means all gear that doesn’t have a direct negative connection to the shunt will still get counted.
Thank you also, all clear now. Cheers.
Pay with Paymate Express