#65995  by gazzerwgtn
 Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:02 pm
Can someone point me to the rules for using these RCD leads. Designed for use with tents, can I use it with my camper?
Or do I have to erect a tent to run my appliances?
 #66002  by WoodyZ
 Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:46 pm
I am not quite clear on what you are wanting to do.
Do you want to plug into a CP supply on one end and plug the other into a regulation input fitting on your camper?
Do you have a regulation input?
Do you have an EWOF?

If you are planning on running a lead in through the door of a window or suchlike, No you can't DANGEROUS
 #66006  by gazzerwgtn
 Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:30 pm
I just want to use it exactly as I would if I had it in a tent.
Not through a door or window, but through a small access hatch.
Not plugged into the camper in any way.
 #66010  by Shilo
 Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:50 pm
Yes the RCD tent cables are legal. The cable & fitted RCD must be completely sealed so the ones sold for tents with an inline RCD are OK but don't use a normal extension cable with a plug in RCD (like sold in hardware stores for using power tools). EWOF not needed if its not plugged into the camper and only used to run a few appliances directly from it or a multi plug power board.

Recommend you have a loop in it before it goes into your tent portion of the camper so that in rain water will drip off the lead before it runs into the tent.

This is an example of what you can use (they are expensive but you can pick them up cheaper then this).

https://www.electricaldirectltd.co.nz/e ... 80f25f7e14
 #66032  by WoodyZ
 Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:26 am
Shilo wrote: and only used to run a few appliances directly from it or a multi plug power board.
Now that suggestion is not legal, without the use of an outlet box which meets the standard, only one appliance may be connected to a tent cord, no double adapters or multi plug power board allowed.
4.2.1 One item to be supplied Where only one item of electrical equipment, such as a handlamp or appliance, is to be supplied, it may be connected to the site supply via an external socket-outlet, a cord extension socket or an outlet box.
4.2.2 More than one item to be supplied Where more than one item of electrical equipment is to be supplied, these items shall be connected to the site supply only by means of an outlet box.
 #66034  by Nut17
 Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:16 am
This is an example of how NOT to do it. !! Picture taken at Riverside Holiday Park in Wairoa a couple of years ago.

 #66036  by Romany Rambler
 Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:26 am
This exactly what the "Jucy's" and "Spaceships" etc are doing at motor camps and getting away with it. No EWOF and a powerboard into the van, and are being encouraged to do so by the renters.

Am I missing something here?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 10
Pay with Paymate Express