#5834  by releivingbob
 Fri May 22, 2009 8:13 pm
i read about smart drive washer motors being used for gennies the other week. have googled it.

only thing with wind generators is the noise, you won't want to mount near your motorhome.
 #5837  by jimandsue
 Fri May 22, 2009 8:26 pm
I think the article about using Smart Drive motors as generators was well detailed in The Shed magazine a couple of years back.Sorry no idea when but I recall reading the article and being suitably impressed with the idea. :geek:
 #5848  by Gay'zin
 Fri May 22, 2009 9:39 pm
I thought they could only handle up to a certain speed, so if I had one here 9 times out of 10 I would have to have it stationary
Rebecca
 #5851  by Grape Escape
 Sat May 23, 2009 6:47 am
We know people with this system.The blades are removed for travelling which is a simple operation but no more effort than that required to set the angle on solar panels to get maximum solar input.The pole is hinged on the roof and you fold it up, pin it in place and spread and lock the support brackets so it looks like a tripod.It has an overload protection brake fitted so excessive wind wont overdrive it.They use it as well as a solar panel.The noise is there but not what I would call intrusive and as stated elsewhere as long as there is a breeze your battereies are being charged, even at night.
 #5853  by prada
 Sat May 23, 2009 8:44 am
I had not even thought of these and have seen the wind generators on a bus in the past, worth looking into if I see someone park up with one I will cruise in and ask some questions. I have afeeling it was at a gypsyfair at Tauranga. From memory it was mounted on the back of the house truck with what looked like the old hills hoist clothes line winder but thats all I remember, I was more interested in the use of the winder than what was on top thought it could be used if you had 2 for garage storage lifting to the rafters. Well now on the look out yes we do have enough wind most of the time and as you say on those rare days solar panels are there, or do we need solar panels as i can not remember a full 24 hours with no wind. Haave also seen them at the marina in the Tauranga Mount Maunganui area just remembered that. Good thought Cheers Di
 #5855  by chilli
 Sat May 23, 2009 11:28 am
I live behind the Carterton Camping Grounds and I also noticed a similar house truck with the same hoist system on a wind turbine so they look like they get around a bit and you may come across them, I will keep an eye open down here for them or similar and ask a few questions.
 #5863  by Gay'zin
 Sat May 23, 2009 5:05 pm
chilly Wrote:
I also noticed a similar house truck with the same hoist system on a wind turbine so they look like they get around a bit and you may come across them, I will keep an eye open down here for them or similar and ask a few questions.
Better still ask them to join in our post here and we can do the old "interrigation" lol,

Rebecca
 #5868  by Holistic Palace
 Sat May 23, 2009 6:23 pm
A friend told me he bought a wind turbine off ebay in the states off the internet & by the time he got it to NZ with the exchange rate cost about $1200 NZ.
A bit of kiwi ingenuity, he bolted the pipe tubing mast on his bus that is removable & on top of it, the 4-5 foot diameter propellers (also removable)
He said he was getting around 8-10 amps (not sure what that is in watts) on winds that I experienced at the time I was chatting to him of around 20+ knots… once the batteries were charged, the prop automatically turns away from the wind so it is not “working” unnecessarily.
The noise I heard that the prop made was nothing that would upset a close by neighbour parked up next to them.
I cant remember exactly, but I think he said there was less than a handful of moving parts, so as far as maintenance went, it was very efficient.
Makes a very good option when the solar panels are not working, when you get those multi days of cloudy skies.
This suited them well since they do mostly coastal “park ups”
Pay with Paymate Express