Mobile internet, DVD, TV, SatNav, UHF/VHF etc
 #150102  by waynet
 Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:27 pm
scubadoo wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:36 pm
Our current setup may be of interest to others contemplating a new installation.

We have just purchased a $265 Samsung 27" full HD monitor just 10mm thin with no speakers. The original power brick outputs 14V. Tested as operating perfectly at 12V and drawing just 18W at full brightness.
With the android MiBox 3 velcro attached to the rear for internet browsing, media playing, Netflix, TV live, on demand etc. and the DishTV Freeview Plus satellite receiver for TV reception, on demand and recording all feeding into either the bluetooth speaker soundbar system or the lounge installed car stereo/ bluetooth setup we should be good to go for awhile.
The $10 USB terrestrial TV receiver plugged into the MiBox is playing perfect full HD TV here in Hamilton on a 150mm magnetic antenna whip attached to the unraised satellite dish.
Scubadoo, great article. With your new system is there a way of watching movies through a USB port. We have lots of movies on a USB stick and wondered if your system would cater for this. We also are looking at a monitor to replace our failed RSE TV. Thanks in advance.
 #150105  by scubadoo
 Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:00 pm
waynet wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:27 pm
We have lots of movies on a USB stick and wondered if your system would cater for this.
I have since replaced the terrestrial TV USB stick with a $26 Aliexpress UHF receiver for the occasional terrestrial Freeview viewing. It is also velcroed (is that a word?) to the rear of the monitor.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HD-DVB- ... 79243.html

I now have 2 devices for playing movies via a USB thumb or hard drive on the monitor.
MiBox - will play anything I throw at it.
UHF receiver - most formats play perfectly.
TV recording is via a USB drive attached to the DishTV satellite receiver.

The MiBox also has certified Google Chromecast built in enabling movie etc. casting from my notebooks, tablets and phones.
 #150539  by Nut17
 Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:08 pm
It looks as though I may have jumped the gun with my recent purchase. The newly released decoder / recorder has tuners for terrestrial and satellite and built in smart tv. A "one box shop" :TU
https://freeviewnz.tv/new-freeview-reco ... fications/
 #150540  by scubadoo
 Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:14 pm
It would be of limited use for us.
Hopefully Netfix in full HD like our MiBox but extremely unlikely.
We rarely record TV these days and have accumulated many hundreds of hours of unwatched TV recordings on several devices over the years never to be seen again. :roll:
On demand playback and the occasional USB thumbdrive recording covers virtually all of our missed TV fixes .
 #150541  by Nut17
 Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:55 am
As we abhor the mind numbing advertising that is pretty difficult to avoid when watching live TV, we series record about 80% of the programs we watch, then watch them when it suits us with the ability to fast forward through the ads. Most of the daily programs - News - Chase and Margs favourite soap !! are deleted daily as soon as they have been viewed.
Neville, when I quizzed the sales guy at Noel Leeming regarding the power requirements for the Samsung 27" monitor, he was adamant that it was 230v supply only. The display model had a two pin plug on the rear with the cable disappearing through a hole and not visible. Can you confirm that this https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/comp ... 57791.html is the model you have purchased?
 #150542  by scubadoo
 Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 am
That is the same model - LS27F350FHEXXY - we purchased Chris and the mentioned below "External Adaptor" is a power brick with 14VDC output that plugs into the rear via a 2 pin plug. Hopefully they have not sneakily changed the model number.

From your linked Noel Leeming webpage under specs:
25 W
Power Consumption (Typ)
23.84 W
Power Consumption (DPMS)
Less than 0.3 W
Power Consumption (Off Mode)
Less than 0.3 W
Type
External Adaptor
 #150543  by Nut17
 Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:23 am
:oops:
 #150611  by Nut17
 Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:09 pm
Well I have just been into The Warehouse in Hastings who happily gave me a full refund on the outdated Satellite Freeview Recorder we purchased in Christchurch and as a real bonus the new improved model is currently on special for $349.00 ;) So I will now be able to learn how to use Android TV and Chromecast. I will head back into Noel Leeming this afternoon to pick up the Samsung 27" monitor.

https://freeviewnz.tv/new-freeview-reco ... fications/
Pay with Paymate Express