Mobile internet, DVD, TV, SatNav, UHF/VHF etc
 #156062  by Nut17
 Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:48 pm
Our broadband reception has always been patchy and very marginal at our favourite riverside NZMCA POP 3752. This year Ben turned up with a Yagi aerial borrowed from his work that proved to be a real game changer and effectively improved our on again off again marginal 3G reception to a good solid three bar 4G reception easily coping with live streaming of TV and surfing the net. We have a Netspeed supplied B525 Router and have not had or used a puck style antenna. We will definitely invest in a directional Yagi antenna to deploy when necessary for our future travels. I simply used the telescoping car wash brush handle as a mast and secured it to the front of the caravan and pegged to the ground.
Attachments
IMG_4404.JPG
IMG_4403.JPG
IMG_4402.JPG
 #156063  by tonada
 Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:16 pm
I've got one on my roof in Glenavy Chris and works brilliant no problems at all with the Wireless nation router.
Cheers Ton
 #156065  by Andrew and Debbie
 Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:21 pm
Chris, how did you know what direction the nearest tower was to point it at? And did you have to get into the router settings to make it use the external aerial?

Cheers
Andrew
 #156070  by NeilV
 Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:57 pm
Sounds like the perfect upgrade to an old wineguard wind up sat dish setup :TU
 #156077  by petercw
 Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:57 pm
Search online in Google will turn up a cell phone tower placement finder..I used to have it but don't anymore.. There's an American app that works for here too.
 #156078  by Nut17
 Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:01 pm
Andrew and Debbie wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:21 pm
Chris, how did you know what direction the nearest tower was to point it at? And did you have to get into the router settings to make it use the external aerial?

Cheers
Andrew
Hi Andrew. In this case we knew there were both Spark and Vodafone towers at the end of Omapere Road. However, Ben found a link showing a map with all the tower locations. I will need to check with Ben what changes he made to the router settings and get a lesson on how to change them.
 #156320  by Nomadic
 Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:36 am
For future reference here is the website that shows all NZ cell towers.
https://gis.geek.nz/celltowers
 #156710  by Van of Green Fables
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:31 am
I have the Yagi Antenna, works great! Thinking of getting a second one, anyone else use two?

As far as setting up your Router for the external Antenna;

1) Log into your Router by entering the IP address (you can find it on the bottom of your Router) into your web browser address bar. Enter your user name and password, also found on the bottom of your router.
2) Click on Settings > System > Antenna Settings
3) Change the Antennas drop down Menu to "Mix" and then click "Apply"

That's it, you're done!

I have written a full step by step guide with pictures and links to all the required equipment and where to get it cheapest here;

https://vanofgreenfables.com/how-set-up ... l-antenna/

Also, as far as knowing where to point your antenna, I have created an interactive map with;

-Wifi Tower Locations
-Campsite Reviews
-Public Dump station Locations

You can check it out here;

https://vanofgreenfables.com/digital-nomad-guide-to-nz/

Basically, I couldn't find any of this information anywhere, and as a digital nomad I really need to know this stuff, so everything I am learning, I am making guides for on my Blog, Van of Green Fables.

Any suggestions or questions, let me know, I am here to help!
Pay with Paymate Express