Mobile internet, DVD, TV, SatNav, UHF/VHF etc
 #156064  by BaldEd
 Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:42 pm
There are many RV owners of the above aerials, so I'm sure one or more of you will know the answer. My antenna doesn't rotate the full 360 degrees - I get at best about 310 degrees. Is this normal for this model of satellite dish? Are there any mods that can be done to permit full 360 degree rotation? It is a bit of a pain when available sites do not permit me to align the caravan so I can tune in the satellite. :(
 #156067  by Neddy
 Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:57 pm
Ed, Winegard manuals clearly state that "The antenna should rotate 360° from the travel position". The only thing I can think of is improper installation. Is this a new problem or has it always been like this?

Neville.
 #156069  by scubadoo
 Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:48 pm
Our Winegard rotates just beyond 360° perhaps 370°.
Is there a hard mechanical limit stop or maybe a coaxial cable restriction?
 #156081  by BaldEd
 Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:26 pm
Thanks Neddy & scubadoo.
Good to know that it should rotate 360 degrees. :TU It has only ever rotated approx 310 degrees max. since it was installed on my new caravan 3 years ago. There is a 'hard' stop about 5-10 degrees anti-clockwise of the park position and when I rotate the aerial clockwise (from below) there appears to be a 'soft' stop. I will get up on the roof tomorrow and investigate. Maybe the cable is getting caught or is too short?
 #156082  by MG366
 Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:59 pm
Well that's interesting - BaldEd and I must have the only 2 Winegards in the country with a built in stop - and you can bet your bottom dollar that the stop is just before the right final landing location for alignment - resulting in a number of manouevers around the camp site to gain reception. It is definitely a hard stop. Mind you, the conversion was done in 03 and was originally the old style bat wing aerial till I did a conversion with dish.

Grant
 #156083  by scubadoo
 Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:22 pm
Our 370° end point is a hard (clunk) stop.
I have just replaced the well worn entire inside plastic workings and noticed that the kit supplied was designed for 2 models. RMxx & RVxx :?:
Included was a plastic ring about 40mm in diameter and spring that for the other model are installed immediately above the elevation winder. That ring appears to have two rotation limiting slots and matching pin extrusions on the dish rotating dial. I wonder if those could be the culprit?
Unused for our model.
 #156086  by vansvilla
 Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:05 am
Our first wind up Sat dish was put out by Karaka and had the same limitations.
What Karaka did, was take the old style Wineguard wind up mechanisms and mounted a dish on them.
These older style ones were those with that surfboard looking antenna on them. They have the same mounting base and internal controls. Those early ones had the coax lead entering in through the mounting base, the later with out the 310' stops , the cable enters away from the mounting base,
We soon learnt not to park facing the midday sun even though that was optimal.
I suspect that this is what you have.
 #156089  by BaldEd
 Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:23 am
Okay guys. I climbed up and looked at the aerial installation this morning and immediately spotted the problem (and the solution). The problem was that the bundled antenna cables (coaxial plus elevation cables) are missing one further roof anchor (a P-clip secured to one of the aerial base screws). This permitted the amount of unrestrained cable, as the aerial rotated, to get caught behind a small protruding 40mmx40mmx30mm electrical box (looks like one of those boxes used to 'submerge' solar panel connections - provision for a future solar panel installation?) further out on the roof. This is what was stopping the dish from rotating more than 310 degrees.

I don't know what the model number is of my 3yr dish but I now find that I can rotate the dish, probably 380 degrees, between 2 'hard' stops, i.e. 10 degrees either side of the park position.

I'm now off to the hardware store. :TU
Pay with Paymate Express