Mobile internet, DVD, TV, SatNav, UHF/VHF etc
 #44598  by WoodyZ
 Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:32 pm
If you have a handheld on the same frequency, they can be used successfully to aid in backing into tight spots, getting wheels stopped in the right place on blocks and other such uses.
 #44626  by vansvilla
 Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:52 am
Whereabouts in Auckland are you, PM me if you like, I may be able to swing by and have a look then try calling from my set.
Cheers
John,
 #46782  by TerryH
 Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:08 pm
Hi guys interesting and good to see some discussion around this. I found out people had a mix. So I installed both UHF and 26mhz in order to be able to chat with fellow members. not had much luck though pick up more roading contractors than anything else.. It would be helpfull if we had a dedicated calling channel like in the old days promoted through the association.
cheers

Terry
old callsign AK4724 & AK1301 :lol:
 #121852  by peteNjan
 Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:02 am
bumping this thread.
Are there any ex or current CB'ers on the forum.
I made contact regularly back in the day when the sun spots were at their peak and conditions favourable.
From north island to south island I could keep in regular contact but have only 1 left now who I keep in touch with on facebook and skype from greymouth.
My old cb call was 26 GM227 .
pete KP227 26 GM227
 #121859  by Rovers
 Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:24 am
They were the days eh Peter, used to have a daily mobile sked with a guy in Aussie every day around 1300hrs from wherever I happened to be working plus all the stuff north and south and the US occasionally. A lot of fun and it progressed from there to my Ham ticket now. Not hugely active nowdays but usually set an aerial up when we are on holiday . Still have a heap of QSL cards, will hunt them out and see if we had ever made contact :o

Regards
Lindsay DN312- ZL4LDS
 #138920  by Skiwi
 Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:57 am
Hi,
I'm just in the process of installing CB & PRS in the motor-home so it will be interesting to see if I find ANYONE with one actually on during our travels. ;)

An often overlooked benefit of these radios is safety and security, both when travelling or parked up.

Cheers
Skiwi
IN611 or ZL4SAR
 #138927  by idex
 Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:53 pm
We've got both AM and PRS in our motorhome and usually have them both on when travelling. Haven't heard from any passing motorhomes for years on CB, just the occasional truckers talking to each other and the road works traffic controllers. Leave it on Channel 11 most of the time, sometimes remember to scan Channel 15 as well.

I can't recall hearing anyone on PRS at all (usually stay on Channel 40), but it is handy to communicate with our handhelds sometimes. Even on a full continuous scan there's nothing. Mind you NZ is not really suited to PRS, with few repeaters and too many hills blocking the VHF signal. The AM CB has much better range and copes better with our topography.

I might have it all wrong though. Maybe we should organise a get-together for interested folk sometime so we can all get ourselves up to speed and have our gear working efficiently? It'd also be a good time to practise calling each other under guidance from some experienced users.
 #138930  by Nut17
 Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:10 pm
We have a CB permanently fitted in the Jeep which seldom gets used these days. However, over the last month we have been travelling in a convoy with two other rigs who had the use of our two hand helds. These proved very handy, particularly when allowing faster traffic to get past. When we need driver - wife/guide communication when parking or manoeuvring on to levelling blocks we tend to use our cell phones with the in car one hooked up to the blue tooth through the radio. Easier than pushing talk button and holding microphone. I have never travelled monitoring any of the truck or motorhome channels.

Cheers
Chris
Pay with Paymate Express