#162278  by Nut17
 Sat May 23, 2020 4:42 pm
5ofus wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:32 am
Hi Chris do you mind taking a close up photo at some stage please. We are trying to work out best scenario to take 5 bikes (3 A 2C) have a 2 bike mount already at the back of the caravan. What to do with other 3?
Unfortunately, we sold that caravan over a year ago and I have just unsuccessfully sifted through the archives looking for a better shot. I have blown up a couple that I found. The Jayco had a cross member with the original jockey wheel clamp mounted on it. I made up a bracket to fit this clamp with a tow ball as the main mount for the Menabo rack. The main wheel supports of the rack simply rested on the "A" frame.
Attachments
IMG_1036 (2).JPG
IMG_1035 (2).JPG
 #162280  by Nut17
 Sat May 23, 2020 4:59 pm
Plans for a new bike mounting system for our current caravan have now been shelved as we now have the caravan for sale with our new motorhome arriving over the next couple of months. My plans were to fit a longer 50 mm square tongue assembly providing for another towball 150mm above the existing one so the bikes were carried by the Jeep, not on the caravan "A" frame. The Jeep is rated to carry up to 350 kg on the ball and our caravan has about 130kg ball weight. Plans are still in my head and would have been custom fabricated as the build progressed.
 #162321  by David McIntyre
 Mon May 25, 2020 10:18 am
We too are looking to carry bikes when we go away.
I saw a commercially made 2" tow coupling pretty well the same as Chris describes.
It was extended, so you could detach the caravan ok, and the bike rack attached to the ball above.
Didn't get the brand name, and the owner wasn't around.
 #162322  by mattn
 Mon May 25, 2020 12:48 pm
You can get a Hitch Adapter , or this one that does this, however I would be cautious. The rear axel to tow ball distance is greatly extended (200-250mm), which effectively amplifies the ball weight on the rear axle and decreases the stability of the rig.

If you have a UK van with just 100kg on the ball, and tug such as Chris's Jeep, it will probably tow OK and would be the best option excluding roof racks, but its far from an ideal towing configuration. If you hauling near the limits of the tug, then no way would I be putting bikes on such a fitting.
 #162330  by Nut17
 Mon May 25, 2020 4:25 pm
Using an extended adapter as described in the two posts above would not be advisable with a modern double cap ute either as the rear axle to tow ball distance is already much greater than ideal. The Jeep has a relatively long wheel base (Longer than a 200 Series Landcruiser) and a short rear overhang and self leveling rear suspension so would not have been greatly effected.
 #162331  by David McIntyre
 Mon May 25, 2020 4:40 pm
Good points raised by all.
Our Colorado 7 would normally have a short hitch, and could use that system ok, but as we already have that extended adjustable hitch (to get in and out of the drive) I did discount that Idea.
Roof racks could be the next idea.
 #162332  by mattn
 Mon May 25, 2020 5:24 pm
I just remembered a better otption for carring the bikes - Toy hauler. Put the bike in the Garage :-T

Does the ute have a canopy? If not, have you considered carrying the bikes on a hard lid on the tray, or on rails above the tray?
https://www.utemaster.co.nz/our-product ... -carriers/

If you have the tray empty, you can hang the forks over the tail gate (remove front wheel when towing. Also there are ways to mount racks inside the tray - everything from DIY 2x4's to probably really expensive Europen things.

If you have a canopy do you need it? Bikes on a hardlid are way easier to load than roof racks.
Pay with Paymate Express