#158076  by David McIntyre
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:45 pm
Swift 645 caravan. Just discovered that the rod support bracket has torn its three holding screws loose.
This is the bracket that hangs down about half way between the coupling and axle. Supposed to stop the long
rod from flopping around.

Swift use 3 small screws to hold the bracket into the fibreglass/foam sandwich floor.
Looks they overtightened the screws. Actually looks to be a pretty poor way of doing it.
Maybe decent screws into a solid wood floor was ok originally.

Thinking of using larger screws, then something like Sika Flex 221 to glue it in place.
Does anyone have a better recommendation for glue, or mounting system?

Cheers
David
 #158093  by Nut17
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:35 pm
With both our Son's Swift Kudos 630FB and our Elddis Supreme 860 I glued and screwed a piece of 10mm ply about 100mm X 150mm to the floor, then screwed the bracket to that. I used exterior treated ply and sprayed it black to match the floor. I will get under the van and photograph my modification and post it here tomorrow.
 #158096  by Nut17
 Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:48 am
Photos. You will notice that I fitted heat shrink tube to the rod where it passes through the support hole. I had trouble with the metal to metal contact. I had the rod removed while fitting the water tanks so it was a simple task.
Attachments
IMG_4657.JPG
IMG_4656.JPG
 #158105  by David McIntyre
 Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:52 pm
Brilliant way to do it.

Was there a reason you did this, to both vans (same issue as us) or you were making it better fit?
I do wonder if the guy that fitted our tanks "bumped" the rod - we'll never know.

What type of glue did you use on the wood?
And did you use the same hole in the bracket when you dropped it 10mm?

I'm going to use your way as it spreads out the load on the fibreglass/foam floor, and secures the bracket into wood.
 #158106  by Nut17
 Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:10 pm
With the Swift, the bracket was almost detached when the van arrived, so that is when we hatched the block of ply idea. With the Elddis I wanted to space the rod down a bit to clear the water tank as well as eliminating a potential future issue. We did use the same hole in the bracket in both cases, but did move the bracket towards the rear slightly to keep the rod straight. In both cases Simpson construction sealant / adhesive was used as we had this on hand for solar installation on the roof. In both cases the mod was easy as we had the vans up on our hoist doing the fresh and grey water tank installations.
 #158196  by David McIntyre
 Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:23 pm
Hi Chris,
Does the rod detach at the back quite easily?
At the front it can't be, without the back undone.
I am going to try and move the rod up one hole as when the brake is on it really pulls up against it.
At this stage I can't get to the brakes at the back of the van, as the motor movers get in the way.
I'm going to have to pull it up onto ramps to I can get under there.
See what fits best. up one hole, or leave it on the bottom hole.
David
 #158197  by Nut17
 Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:20 pm
So long as you have the hand brake off and the wheels chocked you should be able to detach the rod at the front. Simply back off the lock nut half a turn and you should be able to unscrew it out of the fitting.
 #158216  by David McIntyre
 Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:48 pm
Thanks Chris.
Going to look at it in the morning.
I assumed the back was a screw fitting too. Makes sense that I can undo the front as you say.
I can mark the nut position with tape so as to set it correct again.

Something I did notice, is that Swift put the bracket exactly in the middle of the van floor, whereas the rod comes off the side of the front coupling
and I assume to the centre at the rear, so it isn't straight down the van. I can see this when looking down thru the gap in the tanks.
When I pulled the brake on and off several times you could se the rod pulling the bracket sideways.
So alignment and not thinking about a thin fibreglass floor are 2 faults with my setup.
Really appreciate your assistance.
Pay with Paymate Express