Introduce yourselves here
Forum rules: This part of the forum is only for new members to introduce themselves and for them to be welcomed. Please click on "NEW TOPIC" to introduce yourselves. I know it's tempting to "get right on with it" but, if you have questions on a specific topic you should post them in the appropriate place :-)
 #172784  by sjb
 Thu May 13, 2021 7:07 pm
Hi, new member here but I have experienced already how good this forum is with amazing help regarding solar installation in 'simple questions' post under solar. Main reason I joined but other great topics as well.

New to owning a caravan but have rented campervans a lot. We have a 1997 elddis 4.5m long 4 Beth, has 2 bunks at back, it's small but fits us and the kids perfectly. We all love it.

Solar and USB have been done. Reviewing whether to change fridge to get 12v or just use on gas, will swap lights for led, and then will be perfect.
:TU
Simon
 #172789  by Derb
 Thu May 13, 2021 10:09 pm
Hi Simon. I wouldn’t be in too much of a hurry converting to a battery fridge with that small van. You will have limited real estate on the roof for sufficient panels to service the requirements of a 12v fridge along with tv etc during winter months where solar generation will be sketchy. You will also be able to get away with a smaller battery (I am assuming you don’t have Lithium). Winter can be a great time to go travelling. In a small van you may find the 12v fridge noise annoying at night - we do in Alison’s little caravan with its small Engel fridge. Have fun.
 #172890  by sjb
 Tue May 18, 2021 8:27 pm
Thanks derb. We have 240w up on the roof and when we have campervan'd in the past we switched the fridge off at night to save battery and for the noise. Seemed to work okay. We don't do tv, just lights at night. Yeah, no lithium. The battery is 100 ah which might need an upgrade. I'm keen as I don't like idea of using gas all the time. Will definitely do some research :-T
 #172895  by Skiwi
 Wed May 19, 2021 8:31 am
We successfully ran our fridge, USB, water pump and lights off 250w solar and a 100amph battery for several years, but predominantly during summer.
Cheers
Skiwi
Pay with Paymate Express