Discussions about the map based resource.
 #916  by Mark
 Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:21 pm
One step forward....
If you click on the GeoKiwi link, you'll see what is (believe it or not!) a big leap forward.
What you see is a working framework for GeoKiwi: all the questions about HOW to do it are now resolved - there is a bare minimum of data included just to show how it will work.

Check each box in the right hand side panel to show the point(s) belonging to that category. Uncheck them to hide the point(s).
Click any point to see more information about it.

Clearly there is a lot to be done yet:
Decide all of the categories that we wish to be able to display;
Source clear and easily used icons for each of those categories.

And then....
for each category find and record the location of each point and add it to the map along with some useful text to display in an information box attached to the point.

Suggestions gratefully received.

Unfortunately, it seems (although this is based on Google Maps) it is not possible for people to directly add their own data points. People can assist, if they wish by sending their input to me in either text or Excel files. If anyone is interested I can let you know the file format that would be most useful.

And I realise that that will scare most of you - but that's OK. I'm happy - I cracked the "How to"s :D
 #919  by Mark
 Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:27 pm
Idex has offered to provide a Public Dump Station POI file. So that is a great start. :)
Anyone else have any useful datasets eg Truck Stops?
 #1015  by Mark
 Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:23 am
Does anyone have an idea where I could pick up a computer image of the Shell TruckStop icon/logo? I have tried Shell themselves and they were not encouraging. There must (surely) be an image somewhere on the internet but I haven't been able to find one. Failing that, if someone has a printed image they could send me I can build an icon.
 #1018  by BGB (Her)
 Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:34 am
Do you mean this one,

or this one: (just the truck bit)
 #1020  by Mark
 Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:10 am
BGB wrote:or this one: (just the truck bit)
That's (almost) the one. What I would really like is just the image at the top (yellow on red), square-on.
If I can't get that, I may see if I can turn what you've sent into an icon.
Thanks, BGB
 #1027  by BGB (Her)
 Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:54 pm
What about red on yellow? That way, no-one can accuse you of copying their logo.
reverse colour truck (Small) (WinCE).JPG
reverse colour truck (Small) (WinCE).JPG (5.85 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
Last edited by BGB (Her) on Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1028  by BGB (Her)
 Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:56 pm
Yikes!! That is big and fugly in some areas, but if you like it you can have it and make whatever you want out of it.
P.s. If you don't like it, my heart won't break. :mrgreen:
 #1029  by Mark
 Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:31 pm
BGB wrote:What about red on yellow? That way, no-one can accuse you of copying their logo.
reverse colour truck (Small) (WinCE).JPG
Thanks for that BGB. Saves me a bit of time. I'll use that as a base and see what we get. Did you make that yourself?

Don't understand why Shell could possibly object to my publishing a map showing potential customers where their TruckStops are, using their logo - which just identifies them even more readily - but then, maybe I don't understand Corporates :?

I'll, have a play with your icon next rainy day. I'll probably just change the colours on the same image, for other companies (now they MAY not be too happy with THAT!).

Cheers.
Pay with Paymate Express