Discussions about the map based resource.
 #1139  by Mark
 Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:56 pm
There is a decided lack of feedback on GeoKiwi.
Not sure if this is because:
  • there is no perceived need for such a resource
  • I've started with information that people are not interested in
  • People can't figure out how to get past the sea of blue DumpStations!
Let me know what you think.

You can hide or reveal any category by clicking on that category in the right-hand panel
You can move the map by dragging the map with your mouse
You can zoom in and out by clicking the + and - buttons
or by clicking on a position on the sizing bar (all top-left on the map)
You can get more information about any one point by clicking on it's icon on the map.
(please note that some locations are currently imprecise as I have only a vague address to go by. If you can help to improve the location information, please let me know)
Would you find it of use to include GPS co-ordinates for each point?

If you are not interested in Truck-stop locations (which I'm currently working on) but would rather know about (say) motor-camps, let me know.
 #1140  by Anne Barrett
 Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Have been & looked a few times at your progress - good job :)
If you've got room for another blue camper there's a public dump station at Challenge Picton on Wairau Road.
Shell truck stop at Shell Grove Road, Blenheim
Caltex truck stop on Lagoon Road, Picton (opposite Bluebridge Ferry terminal)
Cheers
Anne
 #1156  by BGB (Her)
 Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:06 pm
Mark, this is and will be as it grows, a valuable resource. Maybe people are just clicking to look and not commenting?
 #1160  by Woody
 Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:29 pm
Don't you dare eliminate the truck stops. :) I've already been planing fueling stops using the info on the site. Great site that will be of use prior to and during trips. Love it.

Woody
 #1166  by Mark
 Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:50 pm
Thanks all for letting me know!
I'll check out the Picton DumpStation, Wheezy but just be a bit patient will you ( ;) ) with regards the TruckStops. I haven't got to Nelson Marlborough yet!!
Mat, I'm using the Shell Card Directory for the Truck Stops and I have assumed that any stations listed as such (rather than Service Stations) give the full discount. Is it not as simple as that?

On a more general note: Am I correct in assuming that most of you consider the Mobil card to be a dead duck?

PS.. I'm trying to add 10 TruckStops a day and I'll probably try to finish the SI (ready for our trip next year!) before starting on the NI.

PPS. Anyone planning on going to John Mellencamp and Sheryl Crow, 6 Dec Alana Winery Martinborough?
 #1174  by BGB (Her)
 Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:06 am
We probably won't be going to the show, but will likely be in M/borough through December. Might even sit outside the venue with our glasses of red for a sneaky freebie. ;)
Pay with Paymate Express