Discussions about the map based resource.
 #1662  by Mark
 Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:48 pm
I'm getting near the end of the Caltex Truck stops having completed the Shell Truck stops and the public dump stations (but not, yet, the corrections sent in a week ago).

Where to from here? I'm interested in feedback on what should be the next priority.

Other brand Truck stops?
General service stations?
LPG outlets? (by brand - or all together?)
Tourism i-sites?
DOC campsites?
Recycling centres?
Recreational opportunities eg walks, cycling etc?

Let me know.
 #1671  by BGB (Her)
 Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:22 pm
Public toilets would be another one. Even though we have self containment, we prefer to do the...errm...big jobs, in a proper loo.
 #1672  by Mark
 Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:25 pm
OK - I'll put that on the list - or are you saying you're busting for me to do this next ;)
Any idea where I'd get this info? I guess District Councils would be a start.
 #1674  by BGB (Her)
 Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:36 pm
I'll have a look around over the next couple of days & see what I can find.
 #1678  by RaymonD
 Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:09 pm
Laundrettes ;)
 #1681  by markandirene
 Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:13 pm
How about areas of concentrated seasonal work with maybe, if possible, the months of the year (probably requiring heavy abbreviation), overlayed on whatever the chosen icon. Obviously, this type of work can be wide and varied and I would only be suggesting the main obvious areas of opportunity. Perhaps then further reference can be found on the seasonal work sites mentioned elsewhere in the forums for the appropriate areas. This could be handy for planning a work itinerary for those on the move year round, or even those who would like to have a shot of moving around only part of the year, not forgetting that these folk are just as important as previously discussed in other forums. Also Mark, is it possible to downsize the icons such as the Shell truckstops, as these appear to get rather overcrowded, to enable showing more exact location, or is this technically not possible. Please don't let me take away the brilliant job you have done to date. :) :) :) I would be greatly interested in any ideas/variables on any of the above.
 #1683  by Mark
 Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:45 pm
Ray - Why the wink? It would be of interest to us who don't have one of those flash washing machine thingies :)

MarkandIrene - I don't think that GeoKiwi lends itself to the work area suggestion, if I understand you correctly.
Maybe you'll see what I mean as you address the second question about the size of the icons.
The icons do overlap, but the further you zoom into the map on the area that you are interested in - keep that area in the center of the map as you zoom - the further they separate until you can see the actual part of the street that they are located on. So the map is not really suited to regional icons: but more suited to very specifically sited icons.
Try it out and let me know if it all makes more sense.
 #1689  by RaymonD
 Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:17 am
MarkHoward wrote:Ray - Why the wink? It would be of interest to us who don't have one of those flash washing machine thingies :)
I'm all for Launderettes, much better than Bucket and Plunger :( She that wants to rules keeps looking at those new fangled washing thingy mah bobs, I have to keep steering her away from the displays when we go to the Motorhome shows :)
Pay with Paymate Express