Discussions about the map based resource.
 #1769  by Mark
 Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:38 am
This is a new topic reserved for corrections to marker points already loaded to GeoKiwi.
Please be as precise as you can when giving corrected locations.
I'll sign each one off, once actioned. (Note that the corrected locations may not be visible as soon as I have signed them off - only once I have uploaded a new version of the Marker file, maybe at the end of a batch of corrections or additions)
 #1857  by BGB (Her)
 Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:10 am
Copied from "Truck Stops North Island" thread.

MarkHoward wrote:Re the dump site on River Road in the Hutt Valley. You are probably looking for the one at Harcourt Park Motor camp. Go to hybrid again on the map and motor up River Road, past Riverstone Terraces, and Totora Park until it turns into Fergusson Drive. Keep going north-east until Akatarawa Road branches off Fergusson Drive. Now zoom in. Go a little bit along Akatarawa road and to the left of the name "Akatarawa" you will see a rectangular parking area. Immediately north of that is a small line of trees that marks the entrance to the motor camp. If you zoom right in, you can see some buildings among the trees and that is the camp. (It doesn't have a lot of open areas, so looks more like a park than a camp.) The dump station is in the camp.

OK I've added this one - The other one is apparently a public dump station but I'm not sure how accurate it s position is.
OK, now I know the one. (the public one) You need to bring it south along the motorway, almost to Wellington city, to the Centennial Highway exit. It is at the point where Highways 1 & 2 meet. If travelling South into Wellington from the Hutt Valley on HW2, take the exit which goes underneath the motorway onto HW1 and then turn sharp left before the traffic lights. It is a bit confusing looking at GeoKiwi, as there are a lot of "Hutt Road's" showing, and some motorway spaghetti, but it is well signposted, at least from the north.
 #1859  by Mark
 Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:50 pm
Oohh THAT one! At the bottom of the Ngauranga Gorge - Yep - I'll fix that next time I'm in there.

There's quite an overhead involved in loading a new marker file. That's why I only update GeoKiwi in significant batches.

Done
 #1867  by BGB (Her)
 Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:37 pm
There is a public dump station located at Two Mile Bay, Taupo. Going North along State Highway 1, turn left at Mapou Road, just where the highway gets to the lake edge. Nice, shiny new dump site + toilets.

Done
 #1953  by WoodyZ
 Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:28 pm
Hi Mark
There are a couple of different standards for map references and the one you use must be different to the one I used. The Te Puke Caltex truck stop is not qute right. In the bottom right of the picture, you will note a large horseshoe shaped driveway around a red roofed building. The bowsers are at the bottom end of that long gray bit (actually the tanks) where I have scratched the red cross. I filled my machine up there in the middle of the night a couple of nights ago.
Attachments
Caltex Te Puke.jpg
Caltex Te Puke.jpg (32.7 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
 #1960  by Mark
 Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:41 pm
woodyz wrote:Hi Mark
There are a couple of different standards for map references and the one you use must be different to the one I used.
That wasn't the problem Neil. All I had to go on was a post that said "on the Western approach to TePuke" So, I just put is somewhere there, until someone (you, as it turns out) came up with something better.

I'll fix my copy of the marker file now, but it may not get uploaded until I've added another batch of markers.

Thanks for the fix.

It's easier for me to keep track of them (and when I've actioned them) if they are posted to this topic (I copied it here from the originally posted topic).
 #1961  by WoodyZ
 Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:10 pm
Thanks Mark

I just had a look at the Te Puke Dump Station, You have it located at the art gallery, maybe that is not a bad thing LOL, findable from there, but have marked the actual location for you.
Attachments
Dump Te Puke.jpg
Dump Te Puke.jpg (16.13 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
 #1964  by Mark
 Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:28 am
Hi Neil

That's exactly the sort of feedback that I need for GeoKiwi.
Even some text like (in this case) "the north east corner of the building at the other end of the car-park" would be good enough if people didn't want to go to the trouble of sending a pic.

Thanks for that. It looks like a rainy day today, so may get to add some more markers today (laundrettes - to keep you happy!) and upload a new markers file, which will then include your two corrections.
Pay with Paymate Express