Products and equipment BBQ's, recreational toys etc
 #165406  by Andycap
 Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:39 pm
Hi ,can a few of you owners of E-BIKES give me some info on what to look for as regards needs and must have` etc for these . `i` ve allready read a lot (google is awash) about central motors that fit on frame between pedals ,rear hub motors peddle assist ,pedal charging ,differant size ,batts and also folding e-bikes ,but would prefer a bit of a heads up from you actual users before we take the plunge .Thanks Andy .
 #165408  by ianganderton
 Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:15 pm
What do you want on use the bikes for? How far are you intending to ride? How much assistance do you want? How do you intend charging them?

E-bikes are just like cars. The battery is a fuel tank, it has a limited amount of fuel. The bigger it is the further you can go. If you have a heavy foot you won’t go as far. It needs filling up when it’s empty

It’s easy to retrofit a motor in the back wheel on almost any bike frame. They work really when but they make the bike feel heavy at the back.

Centralised motors centralise the weight. In effect this makes everything feel lighter. Frames need specifically designing for this

If you are riding off road then a centralised motor will feel a lot nicer, more balanced and less harsh. On road you won’t notice much difference.

A bike, just like a car, is a sum of all it’s parts. While this makes it difficult to work out what’s going to be better from a spec sheet you won’t go far wrong on how something feels. Test rides are the key. You can’t test ride enough bikes.

If you test ride enough bikes and analyse the differences between them (geometry and motor types) you will quickly get a feel for what you like. But what you like not what someone else likes.

Make sure you plan for the practicalities of ebikes. They weigh a lot (9kg-ish more than an equivalent non electric bike) which means they are heavy to lift onto racks etc. Plus they need charging after use.

They also need servicing. Servicing costs in NZ are more expensive for many European cars compared to the more common Japanese brands. Buy a bike with a robust ecosystem here in NZ. I’ve seen a couple of people with bikes they can’t ride because they can’t get spares. It’s fine it being cheap but if it don’t work it’s not good value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #165409  by Nut17
 Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:21 pm
We fitted front wheel hub drive kits to our bikes five years ago. These kits retailed at $799 and provided us with trouble free service. I replaced the battery on my bike during lock down in April. For health reasons, we have in the last couple of months replaced both our bikes. Marg is beginning to have balance problems and needed a bike with a low seat height enabling her to touch her toes on the ground while seated. After much searching I came across this bike with 26" balloon tyres, 250 watt Bafang rear hub planetary drive motor, comfortable seat and hydraulic disc brakes. All for a very modest $1348.00 delivered. I have added a speedo and rear view mirror and she loves it. We regularly ride up to 40 km distance and Marg seldom uses more than two out of bars of battery power.
https://www.evocycles.co.nz/Product/248 ... -bike-blue

I needed to change my conventional mens bike to a step through design to accommodate my failing hip :cry: Finding a large framed step through bike proved to be a real challenge, but have settled on this Sinch Jaunt 2 https://sinchbikes.co.nz/collections/co ... -ez-1-grey I currently ride about 100 km each week and the Shimano centre drive is very smooth and on "eco " mode has a range in excess of 150 km !!
If Ecoquip had been able to supply I would have been happy to purchase one of these https://ecoquip.nz/product/super-charge ... en-ladies/ - I have a couple of mates riding the mens version and they are very happy. Ecoquip have been in the business a long time - and started out well before the mainstream cycle shops got on the band wagon, so after sales back up is assured. It is a shame he did not have stock to suit us at the time.
 #165424  by springheal
 Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:44 am
They also need servicing. Servicing costs in NZ are more expensive for many European cars compared to the more common Japanese brands. Buy a bike with a robust ecosystem here in NZ. I’ve seen a couple of people with bikes they can’t ride because they can’t get spares. It’s fine it being cheap but if it don’t work it’s not good value.
This should be the main thing to consider above all else.
We have had our Smartmotion bikes for just on 4 years now. If parts are not available locally, Smartmotion holds stock in Auckland to send to your local dealer or in my case, sent direct to my home which has been done in the past.
The boxes on the back I purchased from a motorbike shop ($90 each). Great for shopping/storing helmet jacket etc.
Smartmotion bikes are designed in N.Z. for our conditions. I can vouch that they are well made and sturdy.
Bikes.JPG
 #165529  by Nut17
 Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:18 pm
With regard to charging, I have just put my Shimano battery on charge in the caravan and the Votronic is showing a constant 6.5 Amps at 13 volts via the 2000 watt PSW inverter to power the charger.
 #165531  by Andycap
 Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:51 pm
Thanks for the replies guys ,we are not in any hurry at the moment to purchase ,so i`m writing down all the relevant details so i can at least make a fairly wise decision when it happens based on `real world`use . :TU
 #165600  by linrae
 Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:32 pm
WE spend considerable time before original lock down could not find suitable models sizes..
Finally got 2 Avanti step thru small model was the problem.
Done 100km this week easily and good wife never ridden before is off like a rocket ,really loves it. Central motor I feel helps balance and step thru as Chris said earlier is the way to go for us oldies.
 #165905  by FrankFrank
 Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:15 pm
I have a German ebike which is heavy but would probably get me to Leningrad.

The thing I discovered, after I bought it, is that it is speed limited to 30kmh. Which means that I am too slow for cars and too fast for the footpath. Where I live in Whangarei, on some of the down slope roads I can easy get to 50kmh but the bike offers real drag as soon as I go over 30kmh.

My understanding is that this is an EU requirement. It does not apply to Chinese or US bikes.

You can get a device that clips on your ebike to bypass this impediment but it voids your warranty and I am told that the later European bikes can actually sense when you are using one and record that fact.

You may be thinking that you'll never go over 30kmh buy you'd be surprised how often you will. So when you are in the bike shop make sure you ask if any of the bikes you are looking at are speed limited. If I had known then what I know now I would not have bought it, quality of not.

Hope this helps
Pay with Paymate Express