Full-timing, insurance, licensing, medical, pets etc
 #162759  by Carren
 Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:21 pm
If anyone here is living full time in a caravan, or even an older style camper van, have you come up with any brilliant ideas or modifications, for some better seating? After 3 years of sitting on the standard seating squabs in the front of van, my back is really objecting. It’s not so much that the squabs are uncomfortable - it’s more that the overall seating layout and design is not ideal for full time living.

The front seats make up into a double bed, so I am reluctant to make any major modifications that would mean I couldn’t use the bed for a visitor. Thinking about removing the table/drawers unit though, and seeing if getting a custom made seat to go there might be doable.

Any ideas?
 #162786  by David McIntyre
 Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:16 am
If its an English caravan, then yes you probably can remove the chest.
I know that Swift and I believe others offer seat replacement units for the chest area.
The downside is that some find that seat unusable as it backs onto the angled front window, so their head contacts the window. Ok for small kids.
It would give you more room to stretch out across that area though.
We have played with various size cushions for back, shoulder support. Mainly for my wife, but we are only weekenders, so you've probably tried this.
 #162801  by Nut17
 Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:52 pm
After battling with replacement foam seating to improve comfort levels in all three of the Jayco caravans we have owned, it has come as a pleasant surprise that our current Elddis Supreme 860 has by far the most comfortable seating in all the vans we have had and without any need for any mods. Although we are no longer full time we still have our annual 3.5 month Autumn South Island stint to enjoy each year (Shortened by Covid-19 this year)
 #162811  by JimW
 Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:32 pm
I have a back ache from both of the motorhomes I have owned. For me it comes down to the depth of the seats (600mm). Cushions take up the gap but it's far from ideal.
Short of major modifications I'm stuck with it.
 #162818  by Carren
 Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:41 pm
I think this is my problem. The seat depth combined with the distance from the fold out table - which I use all the time for my iPad Pro, which I use on a stand.. I find myself having to lean forward to see the screen properly (old age is such a bitch) and/or type. So I’m perched close to the edge of the squab with very little back support.

Wondering if someone could possibly make me a padded, ergonomically designed “booster seat” that I could sit on top of the squab.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
JimW wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:32 pm
I have a back ache from both of the motorhomes I have owned. For me it comes down to the depth of the seats (600mm). Cushions take up the gap but it's far from ideal.
Short of major modifications I'm stuck with it.
Pay with Paymate Express