Full-timing, insurance, licensing, medical, pets etc
 #35193  by Roamnz
 Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:34 am
Thanks Greg for responding to my questions, that will make it easier for others reading this thread to compare apples with apples. ;) Smillie
 #35202  by cyberbirth
 Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:58 pm
Thanks for all the replies. We got a quote from Camper Care but it was only very slightly cheaper than Covi so with all the hassle involved with moving I guess we will just stick with Covi :-( I agree "idex" that you cant expect insurance to cover everything but we still feel that water damage is a major risk for motorhomes and certainly its a major problem for electrical equipment!

Unfortunately I don't still have the NZMCA email reply re why they wouldnt publish my letter (my computer died last year and I lost all of my saved emails) but I can assure you they did refuse to publish it (and it was *very* politely written!) Just think when was the last time you read a letter to the editor about Covi that was anything but full of praise? Hence why I decided to post here to see if I could get some unbiased feedback!

Cheers
Sheryl
 #35203  by cyberbirth
 Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:21 pm
PS I should clarify that the dates of our claim and the correspondence surrounding it was in 2009 / 2010 so different board members may be involved now - but the rep that I contacted is still on the committee.
 #40121  by Mark
 Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:36 pm
Have just rung around (or emailed) and got quotes for re-insuring our MH.
Thought I would share the results (surprised me).

This is for cover of $39,000.

AMI (current insurer) $405 (excess $300)
Camper Care $455 (excess $300)
Covi $448 (excess not specified)
Movan $340 (excess $200) (See ad on our General Discussions forum page)

Now I haven't sat the policies down side by side to check all the details, but the Movan policy looks good to me.

It would help if people were to ask specific questions about aspects of a policy that are important to them. Then we might tease out whether there are important things not covered. I'll look them up and give the answers.

[Declaration: Movan advertise on the forum but they did that before I contacted them for this quote and I assume they will continue to do so whether I go with them or not. They are not paying for this post]
 #40131  by Andycap
 Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:42 pm
Hi ,we have just renewed our insurance a few weeks ago and for $55,000 cover Ami was the cheapest ,(we insured with them last year ),but they only do it on there standard commercial (truck) policy .I thought about this for this year and wasn`t too happy as NOTHING other than a standard truck was mentioned .Oh ,tie downs and tarps were covered !!
There renewal was $400 ish .
We decided to go with Covi at $580 approx as they know motorhomes and if the worst happens think that they will be easier to deal with over any issues .Other feedback on this forum and in the m/h magazine was also a helpfull factor in deciding .
 #40158  by cherokee94nz
 Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:13 pm
Did you ever wonder if the person that fixed your charger, was not the most truthfull on the cause of the damage.

I had simmilar problems with a 50amp charger, that was just out of warranty but had only been used less than 7 times due to build of motorhome. To make it worse it had to be returned to the maker for repairs, bue to the capacitors not having any values on them, and the manafactuer refused to supply a circuit board, so my local radio tech could fix the burnt out parts.
 #40163  by yachty
 Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:30 pm
I have heard that some non motorhome insurance company's cover the vehicle but not damage cause by motorhome activities, ie cooking. Was advised by an insurance man who sold me camper are so he may have had a vested interest.

Very hard to truly compare apples with apples
 #40167  by Mark
 Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:39 pm
Peter, can you elaborate on what was not covered. Cooking? Does that mean, if she burns the meat, we can't claim? :)
No seriously, I'd be interested in what you are referring to.
Pay with Paymate Express