Full-timing, insurance, licensing, medical, pets etc
 #38038  by weekend gypsy
 Thu May 24, 2012 8:19 am
Having recently bought my first wee campervan and loving it so much I am keen to keep getting out and about over winter. So would appreciate any tips or tricks from the seasoned travellers to make the experience as warm and cosy as possible.

So far I have discovered that the butane burner doesn’t run very efficiently at all, even in a little chill . I have ordered a coleman dual fuel burner which can run on unleaded petrol as an alternative.

I was thinking that fitting a layer of pink batts would be a good idea – it seems easy enough to get the panels off. Has anyone else done this? Was it effective?

Also as an alternative to the summer beach and fishing activities I have bought a bike rack (it fits on the back of the van without a tow bar) - so I can take the bike with me and go riding and keep warm that way.

Would really appreciate any ideas that others have discovered to help make this an all year round pleasurable activity.
 #38080  by vansvilla
 Thu May 24, 2012 6:59 pm
Insulation will go a long way to helping keep the warmth in, if you must run the dual fuel heater inside make sure that you have copious amounts of ventilation, the byproduct gases are not really conducive to a long life.
 #38086  by Neddy
 Thu May 24, 2012 7:32 pm
Any gas heater or other appliance that does not have a flue venting its exhaust gases outside is potentially dangerous. ALL gas burners create varying amounts of carbon monoxide, a very toxic gas. Google "coleman carbon monoxide" and you will read that
"The vast majority of carbon monoxide deaths and injuries have been caused by propane radiant heaters sold by the Coleman Company"

If you do run such a heater in your campervan, at the very least make sure that you have a CO alarm (Carbon monoxide detector) fitted. Promise?

CO detectors are widely available from as little as $15 from sites such as this :- http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... OC:US:3160
 #38087  by Dusty
 Thu May 24, 2012 7:52 pm
Yeah, what they all said .

Death is a pretty permanent adjustment.

Insulation is totally important . You can do better than batts though. Consider polystyrene or polyurethane sheet , the latter is better than the former and both several times better than batts.

If using polystyrene ensure the wiring insulation does not touch the insulation sheet .
 #38102  by Rosemary&Peter
 Thu May 24, 2012 11:01 pm
Thermal drape curtains(but NOT fitted hard up to glass), diesel heater..a bit noisy outside ( to be honest it sounds like a jet engine!) but oh, so toasty and hardly any condensation.
The Boss (has little natural head cover) will wear a beanie if its really frosty, and I'm a hot water bottle fan.
Got caught in Waiouru last week and woke to snow on the roof and everything frozen..had turned off the diesel heater before going to sleep..not cold at all.
In fact..it is easier to keep warm in a motorhome than to keep cool.

Enjoy your wee camper, whatever the weather!
 #38118  by weekend gypsy
 Fri May 25, 2012 10:14 am
Thank you all for your helpful comments so far and warnings/ concern re carbon monoxide poisoning -

Yes I am aware of the danger and where possible always cook outside - if not, atleast have the side door open about 1/4.

I imagine it will create a lot of condensation too if used inside which equals cold AND damp.

To Rosemary&Peter "Waiouru in the snow" would be beautiful - but brave.

I imagine a diesel heater would do a great job too in the bigger campers but space is at a premium in the wee van already.

Hears hoping for some fine weather to get away for Queens Birthday Weekend. Atleast anywhere north of Welly has got to be warmer :D

Oh and have packed a couple of hot water bottles
 #38139  by vansvilla
 Fri May 25, 2012 4:47 pm
tThe diesel heater will use up very little room, not much bigger than a shoe box in size, one brand name is eberspacher, very efficient, you would only have to run it in low setting. A chap in New :arrow: Plymouth does a bit of dealing in them.
 #38157  by weekend gypsy
 Fri May 25, 2012 7:31 pm
Really! I will hav to do some research on them. Set up wouldnt be too difficult for amature diyer?
Pay with Paymate Express