Full-timing, insurance, licensing, medical, pets etc
 #76747  by deigh1
 Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:04 am
[quote="malcybabe"]In regards to dehumidifier I am using the cheap warehouse one when I am parked at home and when I stay at motor camps it is now a

We use a mitzi Oasis when at home base. It is a bit heavy to heave around and is too awkward to carry when we are on trips, but it is keeping the dampness under control. Present parking area is shaded by trees and consequently a bit on the damp side. Am looking for a better site.
:roll:
 #76753  by Holistic Palace
 Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:34 am
We have mould/mildew on all our blinds, looks bloody terrible from the outside when the blinds are down.
Tried the suggested advice already shared here, for no result. I think if we were a bit more on to it at the very beginning when the spores first started to come on, we may have been successful with doing away with the problem, before it became a problem like it is now.

We also have the mildew on the insect screens & its a real buggar to stay on top of it.
There are some bleach type stuff that you can use that gets the result you are looking for (insect screens) but be warned, be very careful how you apply it. Friends of ours were a little casual with the spray.... you know what bleach does to other fabrics once it dries off before you find out about it ??

The dehumidifier is strapped to the back of the drivers seat, seems a good place well out of the way.
Gets used occasionally off the inverter.... when plugged into power, the dehumidifier is used in the shower with the washing hanging up to speed up the drying process ;)

The problem with the mildew has been the way it is for years now.... have adapted to live without it being a problem :-|
 #76881  by vansvilla
 Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:40 am
A product called Curtain magic may be the answer, they claim it removes mould but says nothing about the spores.
http://removehousemould.co.nz/how-to-re ... vQodkZUAQw
 #76883  by Neddy
 Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:13 am
One of the very best, most effective anti-mould agents is ordinary household bleach (Sodium hypochlorite).
My guess is that this is the active ingredient in "Curtain Magic".
 #76903  by idex
 Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:36 pm
Rudy, be real careful with hypochlorite bleach. Not only will it take out any colour but the chlorine will degrade many fabrics, especially synthetics, causing them to fall apart. It will do a great job of removing the mould though.

I suggest you might be better off to give all the affected bits a good spray with one of those "Wet'n'Forget" type solutions. Anything containing Benzalkonium chloride will do the trick (refer to Nut17's posts for one suggestion). This is colourless and won't harm most fabrics. Just let it dry and it will reactivate whenever it gets damp. This treatment will not give instant results, but give it a few weeks and you should see a big improvement.

The main reason for your continuing problems will still be high humidity inside your living space, so you could try leaving your roof vents open as often as possible, together with some low-level ventilation. Your own breathing will also be adding a few litres of moisture a day to perpetuate the problem.
 #76905  by Neddy
 Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:59 pm
Another point to keep in mind is that Bleach has no residual action, while the Benzalkonium chloride mentioned by Idex does.
 #76906  by Meanderthals
 Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:14 pm
We've used Curtain Magic on our thermal-backed drapes which had some mildew on the cream-coloured backing. We spread the drapes on a picnic-table outside backing-side up, sprayed the Curtain Magic onto the drapes and watched the mildew disappear before our eyes, then hung the drapes on a clothesline and hosed off both sides with freshwater, dried and re-hung inside by happy-hour same day). The front of the drapes were a dark blue which material was hemmed around the back of the drapes, so plenty of Curtain Magic would have been over-sprayed on to the navy colour - absolutely no bleaching of the blue colour occurred. The drapes come up as new - we absolutely endorse the product.
 #77206  by Rosemary&Peter
 Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:51 pm
I am about to attack the mould on a few of our curtains, also thermal backed.

The only ones affected are the ones across the back doors and around the stove...so presumably its steam from cooking doing the damage.

I have a couple of spare curtains that we use as door mats....they get truly filthy and a bit mouldy.

These I chucked in a bucket of warm water with nappy soaker a couple of days ago and chucked them in the washing machine on gentle today.

Expected them to come out of the machine a little less for wear...but no...came up like new.
Pay with Paymate Express