#71249  by vansvilla
 Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:10 pm
Hi Dean, as long as the motorhome is for private use only then there is no requirement to run a log book or record the hubo reading.
However if your motor home needs a class 2 licence then you are expected to abide by the law regarding driving or work hours, these are no more than 13 hours driving per day, a 30min break after 5.5hrs and at least a 10hr break between work periods.

We do record our hudo readings on a computor program which is used to keep a running record on fuel consumption among other things.
 #71250  by WoodyZ
 Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:11 pm
Not true if you if you are driving a motorhome
Drivers of certain services or types of vehicles are also exempt from filling in logbooks, eg:

motor homes – provided the vehicle has sleeping and cooking facilities that take up more than half of the floor area of the vehicle
recreational vehicles that would require a class 2 driver licence
Plus what John said.
 #145582  by Roger Hawkins
 Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:25 pm
4 years since the last comment!

I have just had a quick lesson on Hubodoneters today after receiving a demand from the NZTA.

Unnoticed by me at the last COF at the begining of October 2018, the testing station had NOT put in a value from the Hubodometer on my copy of the test sheet. It transpired that the 100% relable hubdometer had jammed sometime earlier in the year and also had got through the previous COF with it jammed.

However the testing staion calculated a value from previous records and the speedometer and entered it on their Master copy that they forwarded to the NZTA. Thus the NZTA sent me a demand for $299!

Then today I found out Hubodometers are sealed units, and canot be interfered with. Then that my installed meter, an Accu- trak had no local agent. Then that the tyre size marked on the Accu-Track bore no relation to the tyre installed on the van! Then the tyre size on a Coaster is unknown to Veeder Root. Then I had to phone NZTA for recommended for Revs per Km, which was given as 416 for 205/80R 17.5. :roll:

It took a whole day to sort out, what with paperwork to and froing, dimantling installing and hard on the pocket too!

regards Roger H
 #145584  by BUSRSQ
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:46 am
The 205/80 17.5 tyre is bloody hard to source, you will need to change them out over time to 215/75 17.5 as they are easy to get. also a 416 RPK tyre :)
 #145597  by petercw
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:54 am
We have a log book that we enter the Speedo, fuel liters, and the hubodometer kms at each fuel fill.. the reason is that I believe we have to add a heavy vehicle and, but mainly, we have had 3 hubodometers in 9 years... By doing this at each fill I now can see that the hubodometer is doing it's thing correctly. The Speedo is off about 3 to 4% high.
 #145699  by Roger Hawkins
 Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:00 pm
Thanks for advice guys...& I now know why the tyres are three different sizes! A log book is a good idea too!
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
Pay with Paymate Express