#80315  by purdiegood
 Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:04 pm
Nigel - Go and get a certified weigh bridge certificate that states the weight of the van. Macaulies the scrap dealers in Melden St P/Nth have a certified weigh bridge and can give you a loading. If the vehicle is not weighing over the magic 3500Kg its a WOF, just keep away from the COF if you possibly can, it costs lots and things change from one to the other, Take the spare wheel out or something - Brian
 #80317  by Zukiwi
 Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:13 pm
Brian,are you sure of that? I understand (as do several earlier posters on this and other threads) that the WOF/COF border was based on the manufacturer's rated GVM, regardless of what the vehicle actually weighs on the road. There has been quite a bit of discussion on how, if at all, it is possible to change that rating. Most of it sounded extremely difficult and all of it very costly. I think we should be careful in offering unqualified advice on regulatory or safety issues unless it is backed up with the appropriate authorities and references.

 #80322  by Derb
 Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:38 pm
Amen to that last post.
 #80328  by beanpole
 Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:57 am
Correct. All goes off the manufacturer's GVM, not the on road weight. Not any cost effective way to change this criteria as yet.
 #80333  by markandirene
 Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:42 am
Does your vehicle have a hubometer fitted for RUC as the following extract from the NZTA web site says:

"RUC distance recorders
Updated: 21 August 2012
All vehicles that operate with distance licences must be fitted with a distance recorder. The distance recorder must accurately provide a reliable record of the distance travelled.

Every motor vehicle requiring a road user charges distance licence, where the manufacturer's gross laden weight is more than 3.5 tonnes, must also be fitted with an approved hubodometer, or an approved electronic distance recorder."

This would be another pain for the sake of 50kg over the GVM of 3.5 tonnes. I am sure many of the rental campervans of similar models in this situation, don't have hubometers. I stand to be corrected - maybe the 'electronic distance recorder' option (odometer) is acceptable, so when does a hubometer become manatory? I realise we are going off topic a bit here, but the weight issues appear to come under the same debate from what I can see.
 #80338  by Zukiwi
 Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:41 am
I took my own advice on this and consulted an authority, in this case the NZMCA website under Advice. Regarding the OP, it all seems pretty clear:

Your Motor Caravan is Over 3500 kgs:

You will be required to obtain a Certificate of Fitness (COF). If your vehicle has a manufacturer's gross laden weight rating between 3,500 kg and 3,750 kg - but weighs less than 3,500 kg fully laden - you will be able to apply for an exemption from the COF requirements, providing it was first registered in New Zealand before January 1992 and complies with the Low Volume Vehicle Code. Applications may be made to the New Zealand Transport Agency.

So nigsuz, as your vehicle is younger than the cutoff of 1992 you are unfortunately stuck with a COF.

 #80361  by nigsuz
 Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:14 pm
Thanks to all for the informative and helpful replies.
I had already resigned to the fact that its a COF.
I notice VW dont import the LWB vans....3550kg ones. I guess they would struggle to sell them against competition at the 3500kg limit.
The MWB vans are 3500kg GVM.
I may still ask at VTNZ but wont hold my breath.
Cheers, Nigel.
 #80362  by nigsuz
 Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:19 pm
I should add that a bit more disclosure from sellers re: WOF vs COF and the GVM system would not go amiss. Its mostly buyer beware on this sort of thing.
Cheers Nigel.
Pay with Paymate Express