Anything from hang-gliding to macrame (including fishing)
 #162100  by Paul
 Mon May 18, 2020 7:47 pm
Hi All, What are some of the best off line Topo maps for use on phone/tablet. I use Osmand but wanting more detail for central otago , Knobbies range in particular as there is a loop I want to ride there. Thanks Paul
 #162101  by scubadoo
 Mon May 18, 2020 11:35 pm
Paul
The best Topo maps for that area are almost certainly the LINZ Topo50 series.
These are freely viewable online. I use this and other maps on my phones, tablets and notebooks using OziExplorer. Unfortunately some conversion is necessary and there is is cost involved for the software.
I also use several other paid apps that can view the same Topo50 mapset.
For Android devices some free versions of apps will allow viewing offline with a little effort. Back Country Navigator etc. come to mind. A search in the Playstore for "NZ Topo50" will find a couple of apps. Untested.

Here is the definition available. Low resolution screenshot from OziExplorer on my Android tablet.
Screenshot_20200518-231443.jpg
If you can pinpoint the location a little closer I could post another screenshot.
 #162103  by scubadoo
 Tue May 19, 2020 12:36 am
Paul

I just tested 2 Android free apps and they both would do the job with little effort for small areas. I downloaded NZ Topo Map and New Zealand maps. Both worked offline after downloading an area. It may be a mission to download the entire country. Expect some adverts.
Sreenshots - full HD tablet..
Screenshot_20200519-002350_New Zealand Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20200519-002308_NZ Topo Map.jpg
 #162108  by Paul
 Tue May 19, 2020 9:06 am
Hi Thanks for that. The area I am looking at S45.43238, E169.41430 is part of the loop along the top of the Nobbys Range, what sort of detail is there around there ? Also which apps did you try? A leaning curve here for me. Thanks Paul
 #162120  by scubadoo
 Tue May 19, 2020 3:36 pm
Is this detail good enough? You won't find better.
Screenshot from the free version of Back Country Navigator Topo. I have the paid version installed.

Click on image to enlarge and on a touch screen zoom in or out with two fingers.
Screenshot_20200519-151809_BackCountry Navigator DEMO.jpg
Assuming you have an Android device. Download the app from the Playstore and have a play. Select the "New Zealand Topographic Maps From LINZ" mapset. Areas you explore will be saved for future offline use.

There are a few other apps that achieve similar results.
 #162152  by Paul
 Wed May 20, 2020 7:43 am
Hi Thanks that looks good. Did try the back country app but could not find how to download maps to it.Will try again. Paul
 #162157  by Shilo
 Wed May 20, 2020 9:41 am
To download maps on Back Country Navigator: on the top icon line select Map Layers (the stack icon before the folder icon). Choose New Zealand Topo maps as a map source & download. For offline use: Choose Select Areas for Download in Map Layers (instructions will pop up). Then draw a square over the area you want to download.
 #162160  by Paul
 Wed May 20, 2020 10:59 am
Hi ,Thanks will try that later. At the moment I have downloaded a app which works straight out of the box with good detail, no need to log in or download maps and has good detail.There is a lot of not apps out there but for a leaner like me this one is good. It is "New Zealand (NZ) Too Maps by Mason Blackwood " Will try Backcountry app when my head clears . Thanks for help Paul
Pay with Paymate Express