#129049  by stu_eg
 Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:30 am
I'm looking to convert my VW T6 SWB van into a day/surf bus. This involves putting in a rock n roll bed. This seat won't be used during transit, does this mean that it will need to be conform to the pull/crash certification?

Also does anyone know of a company in NZ that builds rock n roll beds?

Thanks in advance.
 #129058  by Julwil
 Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 pm
I just got a t5 today to convert so am going to be doing something similar. I am posting this so I can find you easily in case I come across something.
 #129080  by stu_eg
 Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:02 am
Its not smoothing that appears to happen much in NZ. I'm really struggling to source part and people to do the work.

Its looking like I will have to import the majority of parts.
 #129500  by aklbob
 Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:03 am
If its registered as a passenger vehicle, all seats need proper seatbelts and anchorages.
If your van is registered as a motorhome, you need complying seats and seatbelts for as many berths in the van.
Presuming you only had two front seats, and 2 berths, any seating behind the driver does not need to be certified.
If it is a 4 berth van and you have only 2 front seats, the extra 2 seats in your rock'n'roll setup would need 3 point belts and anchorages certified.

I have had a passenger van (8 seater Mazda Bongo ) converted to a 2 berth motorhome, (with 2 legal seats), and more in the back, not requiring certification, its a five minute job at the testing station.
 #129878  by stu_eg
 Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 pm
Thanks for the info. Its still registered as a commercial vehicle and I had no intension of changing that, unless I find out that I really need to. There are three seats in the front and I only intend to put in two berths in the rear. If I understand you correctly, none of the additional seating will require certification?

Whats the two minute job at the testing station?
 #132767  by Andy72
 Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:19 am
Hi I have just built a rock and roll bed for t5,t6 just about to start selling them [Edited, pending decision by moderators]
Pay with Paymate Express