#22146  by mazz1972
 Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:39 pm
Hi there, hoping to get some advice please!

We have a small (older) caravan bought last year. It has a s/c certificate which runs out sometime this year so will have to be retested.

Unfortunately we cannot justify joining the NZMCA at the moment as we don't get to use the caravan very often at the moment, but still want to be s/c so we can stay at doc sites.

My Father-In-Law is an NZCMA s/c officer and he said the plumbing in our caravan is not up to standard. I have looked at the regulations and I think he's right. I'm wondering how our caravan managed to pass the last test. Our s/c sticker is not green, it is white with blue logo/writing. My guess is that the regulations have changed since our caravan was tested and the old white stickers have been replaced by the green ones? I asked F-I-L about it but he didn't seem to know.

F-I-L told us that only NZMCA members can become s/c certified - but accordingly to the NZMCA website he can test a non member's vehicle for a charge of $55 - I am going to have a laugh telling him that! :lol: He's away in the south island for the next few months so can't help us out in getting the plumbing up to scratch.
 #22153  by vansvilla
 Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:57 am
Good on you for seeking self containment, despite not being a member, this is one of the things that the nzmca is advocating and for your F I L to suggest otherwise is perhaps a bit mischievous.

Normally you would need 2 nzmca officers to do the check, however a registered craftsman or plumber can do the check by himself and be the issuing authority in his own right.

If you give me your location then I can let you know of any S/C registered plumbers nearby.

 #22206  by vansvilla
 Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:40 am
Hi, the nearest ones I can see are in Hawkes Bay, so you can either travel or start ringing around local plumbers till you find one.

There is NZ Standard which applies, -- NZS 5465:2001, The Standard for self containment of caravans and motor vans. Tells you what is required,this may be available on line, through the ministry of environment web site,

Good luck
 #22214  by Mark
 Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:34 pm
vansvilla wrote: There is NZ Standard which applies, -- NZS 5465:2001, The Standard for self containment of caravans and motor vans.
Not available for download unless you pay a hefty fee, but a very useful condensed version is available on our "Links" page, thanks to NZMCA
 #22216  by WoodyZ
 Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:53 pm
I read it that mazz1972 had a copy of the regulations, or at least had read them, however I have been wrong before.
 #22238  by Mark
 Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:54 pm
You're not wrong, Neil :oops:
Pay with Paymate Express